Naysayers! Gloom and Doomers! Please read:

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SabanFan, May 30, 2005.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

It's been mentioned by me and a few others here that we shouldn't get worked up over late regular season fades by the Tigers. We've all been down that road before.

http://www.acadiananow.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050530/SPORTS/505300343/1006

2. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Yea SabanFan, I'm aware of that...BUT.. Those teams in the 90s had a lot going for them that this team doesn't. For instance, Offense. I do think this team WILL flip the "Dynasty Switch," and the fans will come out in FULL FORCE. Unfortunately I have to work....

3. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Big difference is that LSU had a good coach in '97...

4. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

My question is....would many of the non-believers become believers of Smoke if LSU did just make the CWS and not win it?

5. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

If Smoke can make it to the CWS in the next 3 years and win at least 1 game while there, then I'll be a hardcore Smoke supporter.

6. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Probably not, because then they would still harp on the 0-(whatever we are there) record in Omaha. I still like our chances as long as the guys KNOW what it's going to take to get it right. What worries me is Tulane... If we can get past them, it's SMOOOOOOTH sailing.

7. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

My problem with Smoke is not the way he coaches during the 9 innings of the game, but how he handles the team the rest of the time.

Smoke's teams and the players on them, with some exceptions, show no heart and no discipline. And let me tell you I mean NO DISCIPLINE. Since he has been the Coach it has been a common theme to see LSU Baseball players out at in Tigerland drinking late the Thursday night before a home baseball series. I once witnessed Aaron Hill and Lane Mestepey come into the bar at mignight and take drinks away from their less responsible teammates and tell them to get their drunk asses home. I once saw two players who I will not name nearly fight about who the team's leader was.

I do not know for certain, but I have heard that Skip Bertman would not and did not tollerate this type of behavior. I don't know of many coaches who would, but going on 4 years now Smoke has. He needs to take control of his team and do it quickly.

And I do not mean to spread nasty rumors about our team, but I think anyone who has been out in Tigerland and knows what the baseball players look like have seen these happennings.

Skip used to remind his teams before each game that they were representing themselves, their school, and their maker when they took the field. I think Smoke should tell his players that before they go out in public.

8. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Man, supa I didn't wanna go there, but yea... this LSU team is wild. I can't vouch for OTHER LSU teams, but I know for a FACT (from witnessing it) that this team is a HEAVY drinking bunch. I won't say much about which players are doing what, but I have atleast SOME idea about why Liuzza's season wasn't so productive offensively... It's a shame, and I wish they had more leadership on this team--namely from Smoke. But, none of us know what goes on behind closed doors with Smoke and the team, so we can only speculate--and that's usually the problem.

Oh yea, and most of the drinking ISN'T going on at Tigerland either, it's behind closed doors, at private residences... I'll shut up now.

9. clair

clair Rockets

I can vouch that I heard this from A LOT of people as well! :)

10. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

They are a heavy drinking bunch, but so were all of the other teams when I was at LSU. That isn't really the problem (at least i dont think).