Naysayers! Gloom and Doomers! Please read:

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SabanFan, May 30, 2005.

1. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

I know for a fact that elite military units do not go out and get drunk the night before they have a big job to do on the morrow.

I don't know why some college athletes and coaches think that it is "OK" to go out and get drunk the night before a game, but I don't approve of that kind of thinking. This kind of behavior reflects a lack of self-respect and lack of respect for your organization. It reflects poorly on one's self-discipline. If a leader tolerates this kind of lack of discipline in his subordinates, then I would question the "leadership" ability of the "leader."

I don't think that I'm old-fashioned. In my opinion, it's "old-fashioned" for a leader to think that getting drunk the night before a big mission is acceptable.

Maybe LSU Baseball should NOT be run like a military organization, but, on the other hand . . . maybe it SHOULD.

:usaflagwa :geauxtige

2. USNavyTiger

USNavyTiger Founding Member

Saban ran his team like an "elite unit"... and that worked out just fine I think...

3. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

Tell that to Robert E. Lee's favorite Louisiana Rifles/Tigers.... there was an article written about them somewhere saying that they were a mean bunch of drunks, but the fiercest and bravest of all the units Lee had seen.

4. USNavyTiger

5. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

Has anyone here gotten drunk on a sunday night when you knew you had to work monday morning? don't forget that the super bowl takes place on sundays.
    I have...I did it 3 sundays ago.

6. Jean Lafitte

Yeah, I know about them . . . but this is 2005, not 1865.

7. Jean Lafitte

I'm sorry, but I still think that a college baseball team should not be getting drunk on the evening before games. That's old-fashioned "Mickey Mantle" type of discipline. Mantle said many times before he died that he wished that he'd taken better care of himself.

The new fashion is to take care of yourself and exercise self-respect and self-discipline . . . get plenty of rest and be at your best. If you can't give it your best, then don't expect me (as a spectator) to pay money to see you perform . . . don't even expect me to be interested in your performance, because I know that you aren't giving it your best shot, so why should I give a crap?

If I'm in charge of the organization and you are a "problem child" then you'll shape up, or I'll make your life so miserable that you'll quit.

PS I have no idea whether this applies to OUR college baseball team . . . none whatsoever. I'm just expressing my personal opinion on organizational and individual discipline.

8. upsizin

upsizin Founding Member

amen

9. Tiger Dabbs

Tiger Dabbs T.D.

Let's not forget that these players are STILL college kids. Remember how you acted when you were in college?!? I do.. made alot of mistakes but had ALOT of fun in the process.

10. USNavyTiger

fan's viewing pleasure and pride of a winning championship team.

VS.

college baseball kids time of his life playing ball and having fun.

?