Near midseason thoughts

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BostonBengal, Oct 5, 2004.

1. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

I disagree. They played that way against USC (remember, Greene threw an INT for a TD and a saftey....so it was not their fault) and Marshall.

Their D is playing at a level below ours last year but still quite good., IMO.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Pick any of your fives losses last year. JC couldn't get a passing game going or you could have won with your running backs. All the off season the Auburn boards second biggest internal controversy was whether Campbell had the stuff or not. Many of your own people think he's average.

To quote SI's Stewart Mandel: "Opponents with strong defenses (USC, LSU, Georgia Tech, etc.) were able to stuff eight men in the box and effectively shut down Auburn's vanilla attack."

Now, you can blame your parade of offensive coordinators, but I put a lot of the blame on the quarterback.

3. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

If you watched those losses....you'd see the blame is not Campbell's alone. The WRs had the worst case of drops I've ever seen. The one standing out in my mind is Ole Miss. The final pass to Ben O. was perfect...right in the breadbasket. Ben dropped it.

I cannot name a single game in which blame for the loss can be place solely on Campbell. Your charge that he "blows the big games" simply does not hold water.

4. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

My midseason thoughts.....

USC is overrated. They will lose to Cal this weekend, but will still be held in high esteem because Cal is highly ranked. With it being an early loss, USC will most likely still make a BCS bowl, possibly the MNC game.

Georgia does have a damn good defense. I think the addition of Odell this past weekend solidifies their D. David Greene is that good, and will be a Heisman candidate by years end.

Auburn is surprising the hell out of me. I honestly gave them no chance last weekend at Tennessee, but they proved me dead wrong. They may just be the LSU of 2004.

My origianl game of the year: LSU/Georgia
    My new game of the year: Georgia/Auburn

Biggest surprise yet to come this year: texas will beat OU October 9th..bank it

MNC Prediction: Georgia/Texas Georgia wins, but Cal gets the Ap championship after going undefeated and winning the Rose Bowl against Purdue.

5. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

In relation to Texas/OU, I am not sold on Young throwing the ball.

I think OU still beats them.

6. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

You're dead on. Young needs more work.

7. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Don't forget Thomas Davis...that guy is an absolute beast at safety. I'm guessing he's picked in the first round, puts on 10-15 lbs and becomes
    a lightning fast LB at the next level. He's that good of a run-stuffer.