Negativism

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SabanFan, Mar 8, 2005.

1. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

Well I respect the fact that you dont like my opinions or dont like me in general or whatever. I also respect that you'd like everything to be dominant every year. Thats what all fans want. But, to me, it's losing that makes winning better. If you win every game in every sport, believe it or not, it could get boring. That explains why people dont go to braves games until the post season. Winning becomes 2nd nature. All that matters at that point is how you do in the post season. I'm not saying that you want losers in all sports. But, I'd have no problem supporting a team that wasnt one of those "perrenial powers". Sometimes scrappy teams are fun. But, my whole point was, LSU doesnt have scrappy teams right now, they have some pretty powerful teams in a lot of sports. Soak it up.

2. USChater

USChater Founding Member

Exactly. I love LSU as much as anybody, I have my whole life. But if a little critism is going to offend someone they need to lighten up. This board would be pretty boring if we couldnt express our opinions. And beleive me I know some people who are never happy but IM not one them and have defended Laval as well as Brady. But sometimes if I want to critique their coaching I have the right to do so as a fan. And a damn good one I might add.:geauxtige :crystal: LSU!

3. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Men's Hoops NOT being one of those powerful clubs...

Anyone wanna venture a guess as to next year's results-WITH Tasmin & WITHOUT Bass-for LSU Men's hoops? Hypothetically speaking...I find that next year will be the absolute highest expectations for any team during the Brady tenure...

Seeing as how this will be Brady's first pre-season he heads into as a favorite, it'll be interesting to see how his team responds...

4. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

nothing personal, you make a decent point. But "Winning never get old" means something. Why can't i soak it up one day and bitch the next? I'd rather soak it up everyday, but i'll bitch given the least provacation.

5. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

As I said, fans will bitch. But bitch when the season looks like its completely in the crapper. Not after one loss or whatever. It's fine to looks for good and bad things out of every game. It shows what the team needs to build on or get better at. But, it's just one game. In regards to "winning never gets old", I believe it does. It's losing that makes you hungry to win more. Look at the LSU womens team. They looked like they thought they were so good that they could sleep walk through the SEC tourney. Look what happened, they barely got by Bama and eventually lost to Tenn. Granted, Tenn is the best womens program ever, but I think that loss will make them more hungry. Sometimes you need to lose to make winning sweeter. Thats just my opinion. Sometimes you need that 7-4 season to make 10-1 or 11-0 feel that much better. If your team is always perfect, theres no tension, no suspense, nothing to get angry over. That is boring. Also, there would be no need for a message board if there was nothing to bitch and moan about.:)

6. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Good post SabanFan. I guess it's just human nature that makes it where we always have to complain about something. I say "we" because I'm not pointing fingers at anyone without first looking in the mirror. We ALL say things out of spontaneity, and half the time we regret saying it after the fact.

7. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

The purpose of being a fan, for me anyway, is to ENJOY something. Mindlessly bitching and moaning impairs my ability to enjoy it. Therefore, I tend to not do it (except when emotions are running high, right after a tough game...but even that lasts less than a day or two.) Or if I'm completely dissatisfied with a program to the point that I can't enjoy their performances.

On the flip side, some people revel in complaining, and trying to appear smarter than their prey when they're complaining. So, complain they will.

Some people have so very little to occupy their lives that they find solace in fixating on negativity and imposing that on anyone around them. That's fine, I guess, but I'll stop listening (and already have w/ some posters) when it impairs my ability TO ENJOY THE GAMES.

Times are great for LSU sports, and I don't have low expectations. I also don't have unreasonable expectations, and understand that there are over 100 other schools with the same goals that we have across all sports. Sure, we're pretty high in the football hierarchy, but so are 15 or so other teams. So I'm not going to be bitching up a storm when one of those schools has a better day or a better program.

I enjoyed LSU football for about TWENTY DAMNED YEARS before we won a national championship. Does that mean all of those years were all for naught because we didn't finish #1? HELL NO!

My enjoyment doesn't hinge on the destination of the storied national championship in every sport, it hinges on the journey.

Oh yea, that was Dr. Phil action right there! Drop it in the archives now! :lol:

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

I think most fans, actually i know, operate in a vacuum. Outside of their team, many are very uniformed beyond their conference at best minus a few top- tier teams.

I mean, how many here or in town or wherever have said Seimone is the best player in women's basketball? I've probably even insinuated it but ive only seen a handful of their games and for all i know there are 100 others as good as her.

My vague point is that most here truly believe when we drop a game here or there in baseball or struggle in non conference games that we are losing ground, falling behind and no longer a force in that particular sport. Ive been going to LSU baseball games right around the time skipper came to LSU when there were no one but the player's hotties sitting in the grandstand and a few parents. I've seen the same worries EVERY year regardless the start or the conference play. Its like clockwork and will never change...its just now fans have a central place to post their somewhat narrow views. Its not a bad thing and its not unique. It happens everywhere all the time yet exponentially now because the price to win is so urgent and at such a high price.

Its such a competitive and cutthroat environment in the world of all sports nowadays, its a wonder LSU can be as successful as it is currently. Its also hard when LSU loses to not think something is systematically wrong albeit a coach, the team, the administration or whatever, especially if a current in-state team is outperforming you. It sucks ass, I agree but its reality as well. We can't win every game all the time nor can we expect 18-21 year olds to perform as professionals day-in and day-out for our lives to be complete. Nor does it mean our coaches suck and need to be run off campus when we lose or struggle. They work their asses off, I can guarantee that, and want to win more anyone here. Not to mention they've each forgotten more in one day about their profession than we'll ever care to realize.

We must expect ups and downs throughout all the programs and understand that we often take this crap far too seriously and its simply a diversion from our often miserable workdays, our families problems or whatever.

However, Im also glad people come here and speak there mind, right or wrong, as opposed to taking it out on the people truly close to them. We all here share the same passion and love for our university and that's a good thing though some perspective could help us all at times.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

NoLimitMD and Tirk have eloquently stated what I am feeling. It was stuck in my craw and now it's out. By the way, TE, it's nice to have baseball season here so we can be on the same side for a while. :wink:

10. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

They have spoken for me as well. I will add one thing though, the things that get to me more than anything with the doom and gloomers is their ability to forget or dismiss Skip's, and I'm sure in the future Saban's, losses and also dismissing how hard hard it is just to reach the CWS.