Never Blame the Kids

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bh1229, Oct 3, 2010.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I agree there. Why call the out route with the QB struggling passing then roll J. Lee in and call three high percentage passes for the one who's supposed to be the passer? I couldn't believe that and thought the game turned on our second possession after JJ ran it back on the first one. Instead of building on the confidence he was feeling they laid the foundation to have it ripped.

Which one of 'em calls you mom, anyway? You have to be a mother of one of our players.

2. DoctorDave

DoctorDave Guest

And, I guess:

If a child makes poor grades, then he was not learned up enough. It is the teacher's fault. Period. End of it.

3. LSUTiga

And when they get caught speeding it's the cops. :D

4. bh1229

bh1229 Freshman

Talk about play calling. What about this circling swing pass fade thingy to to Ridley in the endzone that was intercepted? LSU came away with 0 instead of 6 points. What the heck was Crowton thinking?

5. bh1229

bh1229 Freshman

All I am saying, once you get to know these kids and work with them, you quickly find out, it is not that far off from high school. They are trying their best and when the boos come down on an 18 or 19 year old kid, he hurts.

6. LSUTiga

Wheel route, and it requires more than 6 yards to run so, yeah. It was terrible on several accounts.

7. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Agree...but Crowton is just a CHILD! :cry:

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Excellent post.

Everyone should be extremely pissed knowing that Les Miles gets nearly $4 million a year to be a clown on the sidelines.

9. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

You'll get no argument from me on the booing. "Oh we're not booing the kids, we're booing the play calling/Crowton/Miles/the situation." Whatever. You're not helping, and the players think you're booing the whole team. Just cheer and support the team or STFU.

Regarding the kids, again, you're right in regards to their relative age and the expectation level we should have for them as well as the regard we should have for their emotional maturity. But I have to ask, just generally, philosophically, at what point does a boy become a man, in your opinion? Because in the eyes of the world, these are grown, or nearly grown, men. Past a certain point, they have to be held accountable for the stupid crap they do on the field.

Coaches can only do so much. They can teach, they can drill kids in practice till they are blue in the face, they can enact consequences for screwing up, but at the end of the day, when all the preparation is done and it's time to suit up and play on Saturday, players have to make plays and execute to win the football game. Bear Bryant told his kids, "On the field, it doesn't matter what I know, it's what you know." Coach Miles can't make Joseph Barkdale focus on the snap count and stop jumping offside. He can't make Jordan Jefferson get the ball out faster. He can't make Terrance Tolliver catch the football.

He CAN yank them off the field though, if they won't stop screwing up. Perhaps it is fair to criticize him for having not done that. Because, to get back to my main point, these young MEN have to be held accountable for their performance.