Never saw this before

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SabanFan, Nov 21, 2003.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

With about 11 seconds left in the St Martinville-STM game, SM punted from their own end zone. The STM player caught a fair catch at the SM 43 yard line. The STM coaches opted for a free kick. They lined up at the 43 like they were kicking off. St Martinville defended as though it were a kick off, in other words, no rush on the kicker. Had the ball gone through the uprights it would have been 3 points and a win for STM. The announcer, an ex-official explained that the option of a free kick is a rule following a fair caught punt. He said it's a rule in HS, college and the pros. By the way, the kick was wide left.

2. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

That's pretty odd...

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I saw that in a game with the Packers and I forget who the other team was years ago. The Packers called for a fair catch on the punt and then instead of sending their offense on the field they lined up a kicked a field goal for the game winner. The wierd thing was that the Packers didn't line up in a regular field goal kicking formation. Since they had a free kick they lined up like they were going to kick off but when the ball went throught the uprights it counted just the same as a regular field goal.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

The announcer did mention that Paul Hornung had done it twice.

5. ramah

ramah Founding Member

The free kick is just another relic of Football days gone by, like the drop kick. When I was in HS, I could hit 40-45 yard drop kicks like they were nothing, with a beautiful trajectory and end over end spin. No one does it anymore, as a wet field is not conducive to success and the soccer styles in field goal kicking nowadays seem to get better distance. I love to watch tapes of old FB games and the drop kick that died in the sixties.