Neverending Saga: Ford, Bennett, Purnell all out

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by clair, Apr 9, 2008.

1. clair

clair Rockets

2. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

I like Jay Wright. The coaching search committee really should call me.

3. clair

clair Rockets

Bennett and Purnell don't surprise me.

Ford pulling out does, though...

4. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

They weren't happening. Sometimes they like to throw big names out to elevate the program's prestige...wouldn't surprise me if that were the case.

Kind of like Jack Del Rio always publicly declines a job opportunity without ever being called about it.

5. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

Alright without catching up on the 1000 page thread about coaching choices, where does that leave us and what ya think about the prospects.

6. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

How much any of these guys were candidates was always in question. Bennett definitely was a long shot, when you consider he turned down IU and Marquette. Purnell was definitely just a guy's name to throw in to the hat. Ford as well, to me, seemed definitely like premature reporting.

What does that leave us with? Well, you know folks close to the LSU tree have been interviewed. Pierre and Jones. It's hard to say how real of a chance Jones has, but it sounds like Pierre is still right there.

As for who are the next candidates, no one's talking:

"He (Alleva) and Ausberry traveled to San Antonio for the men’s Final Four and have interviewed several candidates that LSU has declined to identify."

What's clear to me is with Alleva's contacts, he's probably got a pretty clear idea of what he wants to see. He's not chasing the "hot names" as others are, perhaps, which leads me to believe he's looking for experienced candidates with more sustained records as HC (not even talked to Anthony Grant). Perhaps, someone like Mike Brey in the mix?

7. TC

TC Le Big Mac

Interesting that Ford and Bennett wait until after the Final Four to announce they're uninterested in LSU. Maybe word got out, after Alleva and Ausberry interviewed half of San Antonio, that the LSU job ain't so attractive?

Maybe Ford and Bennett were just waiting to see if LSU was gonna hang on to its one NBA prospect, Anthony Randolph. Answer: Nope.

Hey, here in Memphis John Calipari is persona non grata after Monday night's national championship meltdown. Maybe he'd like to coach in a real conference and teach the Bayou Boys how to tomahawk dunk and miss free throws in the clutch? :cool:

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

havent heard my fav mentioned in a while---drew.

did i miss him pulling out too?

9. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

Wouldnt be surprised if Mike Brey is named head coach tomorrow.

10. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

I also want to publicly decline the LSU coaching job

...before any speculation begins