New Alex Box Stadium

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUray, Jan 9, 2005.

1. LSUray

LSUray Founding Member

A while back someone posted a link to a proposed architectural rendering of the new remodeled Alex Box Stadium? Does anyone still have that link?

2. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

3. ScottyB28

ScottyB28 Founding Member

trahanarchitects.com

4. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

the only problem that i noticed w/ the rendering of alex box is that the background (athletic bldg., etc.) are in the same place as they are now. from what i always understoood, the new box would be in a different palce relative to all that (sorry for the sabanism). does anyone know if they plan on just tearing down the old one and putting the new one in its place? doesnt seem like a job they could do in under a year.

5. BMoney

BMoney Founding Member

No, it won't be in the same place. There's not enough room between the railroad tracks and Nicholson for them to do what they want. The new stadium will be at the corner of Burbank & Nicholson across from the golf course. It will be ready for play in time for the 2008 season. It will hold just under 9,000 with 6,000 chairbacks. There will be a mix of bleachers and grass in the outfield with a place for lawn chairs.

6. slippery_pete

slippery_pete Founding Member

although the pictures make it look like alex box would remain in the same place, i think it is supposed to moved. it is my understanding that the new alex box would be built on what used to be the last four holes of the lsu golf course. the land is currently used for gameday parking and is located directly across Gourrier from the LSU Golf Course Clubhouse (http://www.golf.lsu.edu/directions/). this info is from the folks at the golf course. one of the employees told me a while back b/c a ton of people were complaining about losing the four best holes. the pro shop emloyee told us to direct our complaints to skip b/c that was his decision.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The Campus Master plan map shows where the new baseball and softball stadiums will go.

8. Randy70

Randy70 Founding Member

I say build in a different place and build a high rise parking garage on the old Alex Box grounds to relieve the parking problems for football games.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There are six new parking garages on the Master Plan. They are the big white rectangles on the map. Three giant ones being planned are across the street from Tiger Stadium, next to Parker Coliseum, and off Burbank near the planned "South Quadrangle'. Three smaller garages will be next to the LSU System Bldg, next to the PMAC, and across Highland from the Union.

There is a big emphasis on the parking garages in the MP. There will be fewer commuter lots and fewer gated lots in central campus. The idea is to make the central campus a pedestrian area.

Gray structures are existing, white structures are planned, on the map. The old Alex Box site is not yet allocated on this map. Probably it will be a parking lot because of its location on Nicholson near Tiger Stadium and the PMAC.

10. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member