New AMC series The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUsupaFan, Nov 1, 2010.

1. hebertjp

hebertjp Founding Member

I enjoyed it immensely and it has instantly earned a spot on my tv schedule. I really enjoyed seeing Lenny James again. He was in the CBS short lived series Jericho and I thought he did an excellent job. I hope they show more of him in the future.

One thing that kind of annoyed me was the sequence where the sheriff's deputy wakes up in the hospital to discover the zombie apocalypse in full swing. Pretty much the same setup as in 28 Days Later. Now I understand that Walking Dead was based on a comic. So who had this idea first and why are no charges of plagiarism are being issued?

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Issue one came out October 2003. Which is well after 28 Days Later. But the waking up from a Coma is a very common starting point in the Zombie apocalypse genre. It wasn't original for 28 Days Later either.

3. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

Not much of a TV watcher anymore other than football, Adult Swim or South Park, but just finished watching the pilot episode and thought it was great. Nice to see something different on TV that's shot well and tells a good story, in addition to having likable characters.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

SPOILER ALERT: if you didn't watch last nights episode.

good series so far. i like the idea of smearing zombie blood and guts all over you so they can't detect you, haven't seen that one used in a zombie flick before.

5. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Caught up and I like it. Good visuals, etc...

Great replacement for Mad Men and AMC is surprising me lately.

6. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I am loving this series. It has started to drift from the comic book, which is awesome because the one negative I had after episode 1 was that it followed the comic too closely removing all surprise for me.

Episode 2 had several elements from the book (Glenn rescuing Rick, rubbing themselves in zombie parts, rain washing it off), but has added to the fiction (additional characters, trying to find several avenues to escape the city, Merle on the roof). Episode 3 retained fewer elements (love triangle) and had more new stuff.

7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

What's with this recent bizarre fascination with zombies? And does this mean the fascination with vampires is finally over? :rolleye33:

8. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Very true. They were looking for extras for another zombie movie here in Baton Rouge a couple of weeks ago. So get ready for more.

We can get rid of all the other vampire movies for a while as long as True Blood keeps running.

9. CarolinaTiger61

CarolinaTiger61 Recently Repatriated

I love the zombie genre, and I think The Walking Dead is great. I think part of the enjoyment of watching it is pretending what I would do if I found myself in that situation.

10. hebertjp

hebertjp Founding Member

I have dreams (not necessarily nightmares anymore) about the zombie apocalypse on a weekly basis. They don't stop me from watching the show.