New AMC series The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUsupaFan, Nov 1, 2010.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Not really. I mean, what he did to the ringleader was really his only play. And sure, he went a little overboard killing the dude that attacked his son, but that's understandable, right? Dude deserved it for what he was trying to do to Carl.

**POSSIBLE SPOILERS**
    I agree. This season was sort of a disappointment. I tried giving it the benefit of the doubt; especially since there was a new show runner that promised there would be more action, but it fell into the same rut. I kept telling myself that they're just building the story, but there was never really a pay off after 16 episodes.

As for the finale, I think they messed up by having everyone go into Terminus. Being suspicious by nature, I would have let Darryl and Carl hang back, while Michonne and Rick investigated. If they didn't return, then at least there would be someone on the outside to help facilitate an escape. Guess that will be left to Carol and Tyreese. What I'm wondering is - why they just didn't kill them when they were running through the compound. Even if they are cannibals, they could have still killed them.

And WHERE is BETH? Are they just going to write her off with no resolution to her story arch?

Even though I was disappointed with this season, I'm still not ready to give up on it yet. We'll see what happens in Oct.

2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Glad I never started watching.

3. fanatic

Season 1 is right up there with some of the best shows ever.

Kind of hard to live up to from then on out, but it's still not a terrible show. Just not as action packed as I would have liked. There are still plenty of people who like it just the way it is.

It's still worth a watching and you can call it quits after the first season, but I suspect you'll be hooked like the rest of us.

4. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

There's the thing. I have made it a point in my adult life not to get hooked to any type of soap. I just don't want to be tied to it.

5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I dunno, it was like the humanity is slowly inching away. Now he is back to being a badass after being weak for a season+...

6. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

I don't think for a second that they're going to let the Beth story line die off without a resolution. Maybe, just maybe, we'll find out that Beth was the, um, guest of honor at dinner but I think it's much more likely that series Beth = comic Andrea. I also think it's very likely that series Bob or Tyrese = comic Dale with my money being on Bob (I figure it's got to be one of those two because we now have 2 black male characters on the show and, much like the Highlander, there can be only one apparently).

I understand that but suggest you give the comics a go. It's up to issue 127 I believe and the storytelling is much better than on the show.

Which me to another point. While I understand the show and the comic aren't mirror images of each other, the show does use the comic as source material. I believe the show is up to around issue 60-something with issues coming out about monthly. So there seems to be very little possibility of the show catching the comic. My question then becomes, why drag things on so much? It's not like Game of Thrones where there's a very real possibility that the show will catch and ultimately pass the source material. (So much of a possibility that the showrunners allegedly have been told how the whole story wraps up by GRRM.)

It seems like the only realistic answer is that AMC wants to milk its cash cow for all its worth. Not that I'm against making money (right @shane0911 ? ) but maybe True Detective showed us the way TV stories will be told in the future -- limited run, tell the story and get out -- and even that had a tiny lag problem.

shane0911 likes this.
  7. fanatic

Nothing against them making money, except if the show is worse off because of it. And that seems to be the case the last couple of seasons. Although I did like season 4 better than both 2 and 3.

8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I really enjoyed Season 4. I'd rank them as 1, 4, 2, 3.

b_leblanc and fanatic like this.
  9. fanatic

Same here

10. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

As a female, I have to admit that I liked this season so you guys might be right about them taking a turn towards their female audience. My husband still likes the show but complains about the same thing you guys do. However, I have to admit that season one was my favorite too, although I had to fast forward through a couple of the real gory parts. That's the chick in me.