New BCS Formula

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Obi-Wan Tiger, May 11, 2004.

1. Obi-Wan Tiger

Obi-Wan Tiger Founding Member

Just heard on ESPN news that the new BCS formula will be based on 3 factors only...AP poll, ESPN Coaches Poll, and the average of the seven computer polls. Strength of schedule and quality wins will no longer be part of the equation. What a load of crap. I'm not saying the old formula was the answer, but to throw out two of the best variables in the mix is simply ridiculous. I'm sorry but we're right back where we were before the BCS started. These idiots are more concerned with eliminating a split champion than they are determining a true champion.

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I don't see this on ESPN.com anywhere

PS: I'll be in Pearland next week visiting my dad - great city.

3. Obi-Wan Tiger

I looked for it on their website also...just caught the report on ESPNews. Apparently, the story must have just broken.

P.S. Don't know if you've been to Pearland recently, but it's really growing.

4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I have a hard time believing they would completely do away with strength of schedule and penalize teams for playing a hard schedule while rewarding those that play in weak conferences(USC) and dodge quality competition(Virginia Tech). If this is indeed the case the MNC will be an absolute sham and we will once again be stuck with weak sisters like BYU winning a national championship without playing a single ranked team until the championship game. :dis: :dis: :dis:

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I haven't been to Pearland in almost a year. I remember that it was in the middle of alot of expansion when I was there last. I assume this means that the traffic has gotten even worse... I look forward to seeing how much it has grown, and glad to know will be some Tiger fans there. [Besides my dad, whom I converted]

6. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

I would love to see a link when someone can find it.

They are going to do their very best to make sure a team like Oklahoma from last year does not make it to the title game.

7. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

The only part of the BCS that was the problem is the AP Poll now they basically pick the Championship. :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis:

8. Obi-Wan Tiger

Still haven't been able to find a link...but I assure you, I heard it on ESPNews less than an hour ago. Regarding OU, I read the other day that the winning the conference title requirement that a lot of folks would like to see is not even being considered.

9. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

The only problem with that is that LSU would have been the one left out last year if this were in place then. It would have been Oklahoma vs. USC, so that doesn't solve the problem they are thinking of...

10. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

You can't require a team to win a conference title, because it benefits teams like USC who have no conference championship game. I can't believe they are getting rid of SOS, that is the only thing that makes sense about the BCS. Can we join the SunBelt and just win the NC every year?