New BCS Formula

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Obi-Wan Tiger, May 11, 2004.

1. tigerfan1303

tigerfan1303 Founding Member

Just heard it

I just heard this crap on the news and im thinking that this is a bunch of craps; just do a playoff system and this will eliminate this mess. I think it was better the old way.

2. Obi-Wan Tiger

Obi-Wan Tiger Founding Member

Worse yet, the SOS elimination hurts us as fans as well...we can look forward to lots of Northwest Alaska A&Ms in Tiger Stadium in the future. What's funny is, those AP lackeys will be the first to fall back on strength of schedule as a factor in their voting. On a related note, has anyone noticed there has been no mention about the alleged OU series, since Ark St replaced UH on the schedule. This was classic bait and switch by the LSU Ath Dept. They let a decent team out of their contract, replaced them with a lesser opponent, and diverted the attention by mentioning a series with OU so soon after the Sugar Bowl.

3. lsu92

lsu92 Founding Member

OU would have been the odd team out, not LSU. We were ranked 2nd in the AP, Coaches, and BCS following the SEC championship game.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

That isn't true, the BCS was the only one that mattered and we wouild have ended up thir din the BCS without the SOS included. I can't figure out why they wouldn't try and tweak the SOS instead of just chunking it. Stupid.

5. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

Let me get this straight. So the new formula uses the human polls twice and the computer poll average once? Each human poll counts for 1/3 the formula, and the average of all the computers is 1/3? That's stupid! Might as well go back to before the BCS was created and just have the humans completely decide the champions.

6. ChineseBandit

ChineseBandit Founding Member

Remember OU had the highest SoS of all three teams.

7. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

This can't possibly stand. SOS was the only part of the BCS system that wasn't inherently crazy. I bet BYU is jubilant over this.

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Regarding DarkHornet's comment on them going back to the human polls deciding it all----

Well guess what? That's what they want, but they just are doing it in subtle increments.

LSU would indeed have been the odd man out last year under this BCS formula, since USC's SOS was worst of the 3 teams.

Basically they looked at USC's schedule and said, "man we got to help these po folks out". They didn't want to get into another situation with USC possibly being undefeated this time but lose out to teams like OU, LSU or Georgia had 2 other teams gone undefeated as well and happened to beat out USC due to SOS.

Oh well we just got to deal with it and move on. After 2006, we will have a better system I hope.

9. ChineseBandit

ChineseBandit Founding Member

Just a proposal. Doubt they will be removing SoS.

10. lsugrad00

lsugrad00 Founding Member

I believe you are incorrect. In the final BS standings Oklahoma was #3 in the AP and ESPN and had a Computer poll avg of 1.17. LSU was #2 in both polls and had a computer average of 1.83. That would have left OU out of the Sugar Bowl last year.

Final Standings Old Formula
    OU - 5.11
    LSU - 5.99
    USC - 6.15

Using New Formula
    USC - 4.67
    LSU - 5.83
    OU - 7.17