New Coach?????

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Mike in Memphis, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Mike in Memphis

Mike in Memphis Old Tiger

Well I guess some on this board want to hire Mac Brown – after all, Les is an awful coach and Mac may be thinking of greener pastures.
    Kal-El012??
    Islstl?
    What you say?
    Double helping of crow??
    :eek:ldskule:

1 person likes this.
  2. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Man, I ain't even going there after THIS win! :hihi:

3. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

I never ever doubted Les Miles and I want everybody to know it. I'm a better fan than you.

I can't say for sure, but I seriously doubt anyone suggested hiring Mack Brown.

4. Mike in Memphis

Mike in Memphis Old Tiger

You are a King. How could I ever doubt you.
    :eek:ldskule:

5. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

Very true. You are forgiven.

6. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I didn't really know where to post it, but thought this as good a place as any. I know right now the talk of replacing Miles has subsided at least for a little while. I'm not really trying to get this topic started again, but just wanted to post a thought that I have in regards to this topic.

Reading up on the Dan Hawkins firing at CU it got me to thinking about something. Many have listen Chris Peterson as someone they would want as a possible replacement, and mine as well as a couple of others have made the argument that we would want a proven coach, a coach that could win in the SEC. Not taking anything away from Peterson, but I'm just not sure how he would do in the SEC.

The argument of that Boise State also would not do as well if they were in a conference like the SEC as they do in the WAC. Well Dan Hawkins was the HC of Boise, before CU grabbed him in 06. Hawkins had a 53-11 record at Boise over his 5 yr tenure. Before he was at Boise he had a 40-11 record at Willamette from the Northwestern Conference. Here is a coach that has done very well where ever he was at, and in particular would be considered at great coach based on his Boise state record.

My contention for Peterson not being the right guy is based on not believing he would do as well if he stepped into a big boy conference like the SEC. This is not to say he wouldn't, but given the example of what has happened to Hawkins when he made that leap, this is what I would fear getting Peterson as a coach to replace Miles should we need to.

It isn't like Hawkins took over a bare program, CU was in the Big 12 title game back in 05, so there was some talent there. In the WAC he was great, he stepped into the Big 12 and sucked. Could this be what would happen to Peterson if and when he gets the chance to make that jump? That's the question that makes me take pause to the thought of him being a possible candidate.

7. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

When your offense has great difficulty with fundamental play at the most important offensive position, you have to rely on gimmicks more than you'd like. It's why I still think Crowton really needs to be given the boot at season's end. LSU scored points off big plays and turnover creation. You can't depend on that being there week in and week out and be consistently successful. There will be many games where we will have to grind out long drives and earn every point the hard way, when those little trick plays eventually get shut down. The LSU offense needs an OC and O-line coach who will get solid, consistent play out of our players, especially QB, and Crowton isn't that guy.

8. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Well the situation is what it is this season. At 8-1 even with all our problems, that's a very good position. I think we have a realistic shot at 10-2 (loss to Arky on the road) and a BCS at large. That's a very good season by anyone's standards. If Les gets rid of the dead weight on the offensive coaching staff at season's end and brings in some veteran coordinators we'll be in fine shape. If he retains them, then we've got problems.

9. kluke

kluke Founding Member

If the 'Alabama Game LSU' shows up we are at worst the 2nd best team in the country and maybe the best. If the 'Tennessee Game LSU' shows up we are much further down the list.