New DC(s)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CParso, May 12, 2008.

?

Are you concerned with our new DC(s)?

Poll closed Jun 2, 2008.
  1. Yes, Pelini was great & the new guys are unproven

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Yes, I don't like the idea of having Co-DCs

12 vote(s)
    27.9%
  3. No, I am not concerned.

21 vote(s)
    48.8%
  1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

true.

as long as each has very specific duties, and they do not overlap, i dont see a problem. when this was all just speculation i said that i thought it could work if one person is calling the plays, and other is motivating the players and sending the plays in. and if they have areas of strength that the other one doesnt they may compliment each other well.

at least that is my hope. that, and i trust miles.

ok, the old double mint chewing gum commercial from when i was a kid popped into my head. its two, two, two dc's in one.

2. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

i voted, not worried.
    but i will be interested to see how well it works.

3. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

BDP has been a DC...like 3 times if I'm not mistaken. Anyway...

Concerned, yes...but not as badly as I thought I would be. They have a lot of things working in their favor that may help alleviate the concerns. Not the least of these is the DL. IMHO, the DL will be better this year than it was last...and in fact, may be the best in CFB this year. Getting pressure on opposing QB's and stuffing the run up front will help the rest of the defense.

Also, these guys have worked together so long, and I feel as though they are just going to split responsibities...and bounce ideas off each other. I can see it working out OK, but perhaps I would feel better if the situation were different...ie, just one of them at the helm.

1 person likes this.
  4. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

What other elite teams have used the co-defensive coordinator approach?

I remember that Pelini himself was a co-defensive coordinator for Oklahoma when he was there in 2004 (same time Miles was coaching for in-state rival Oklahoma State).

5. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

One reason I am not too worried about it is because from my understanding Pelini's D was not considered all that technical compared to say Saban's defense. From a player standpoint, it was a simplified defense that allowed the players to play agressive and react quickly without too many confusing elements. I remember a few times when players felt like they were too concerened about the technical elements, second guessing, etc under Saban's D but once they got it down it was a great defense.

I assume it is not that technical from a coaching persepective as well. At least nothing that will cause a great transition without Pelini here and they have coached the system for 3 years already. I fell confident that the 2 coaches will balance their duties and work well together.

A great DL next year will only help the transition by taking some of the pressure of the LBs and DBs.

6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

The Stoops and Venables combination worked real well for OU early on in Bob Stoops tenure there.

Spurrier, on the other hand, brought in C0-DC's (one was Nix, was Thompson from Arkansas the other?) and it didn't work quite as well.

In a sense, Bama will be running with Co-DC's with Coach Smart working with the secondary and Coach Steele with the front 7.

Do you guys know how the play calling duties are going to be divided, or are they going to be shared?

7. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

I think Saban still calls the plays at LSU. At least, the ones that work. Though we might have to wait until his January press conference to confirm. Stay tuned...

2 people like this.
  8. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

One will be in the pressbox calling the plays and the other will be on the sidelines. I think Peveto is the one who will call the plays and he has the DC experience.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I am not concerned at all about our new DCs, for several reasons.

Number one - Miles track record of hiring quality coaches thus far here at LSU.
    Number two - Mallory & Peveto's familiarity with Pelini's defense.
    Number three - Their familiarity & long working relationship with each other.
    Number four - Miles' "CEO" abilities to make sure roles are defined & the situation works.
    Number five - both have been successfull DCs at smaller schools.

10. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

You're right, and actually both were DCs, as CParso pointed out...

BDP: DC at MTSU and NW St, co-DC at Houston
    DM: DC at W KY