New DC(s)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CParso, May 12, 2008.

?

Are you concerned with our new DC(s)?

Poll closed Jun 2, 2008.
  1. Yes, Pelini was great & the new guys are unproven

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Yes, I don't like the idea of having Co-DCs

12 vote(s)
    27.9%
  3. No, I am not concerned.

21 vote(s)
    48.8%
  1. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

When Charlie Strong went to UF, did he serve as a Co-DC as well?

2. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

They deserve a chance to prove themselves.

3. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Not worried for lots of the reasons above.

I will be interested to see what the division of responsibility is between the two. I'll also be interested in how they adjust schemes to match the personnel challenges, particularly CB and LB.

4. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Skeptical.

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I never though Pelini was as great as he has been portrayed by some fans. Don't get me wrong, he was a very good DC for us, but I didn't consider him among the top 5 in the country.

One thing I always wished Pelini would do more is have our CBs bump WRs, and I'm glad to hear that our new DCs worked on that this Spring.

6. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Pelini was great the first 2 years and 4 games or so. Statiscally, his D's were in the very upper echelon in the nation. But something happened after the first few games this past year, and offenses began racking up yards on him seemingly at will. I heard several analysts/commentators say that opposing coaches supposedly found a flaw in his scheme that could be exploited by the spread. Whether or not that was the case, scheming became a major problem for Pelini until the post season...which I guess is what counts. But still, I've never seen such a precipitous collapse in the middle of the season from a single unit.

7. Old Bandit

Old Bandit Just Some Old Guy

There isn't an answer in your poll that fits my opinion on this issue. I think that Pelini was a great DC, and I am sure that he taught our new DC's his system well. But both of them are not unproven, they both have expecience at the position. My question is more, how will it work with 2 DC's? Who will be in charge of calling plays and who will be in charge of signaling them in? Am I concerned as to whether they have the experience to do the job, no. Am I concerned as if a 2 DC system will be efficient, yes?

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I think it was more attributable to injuries that mounted up as the season wore on.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

That's pretty much Option 2...

10. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Agreed - this played a big role.

I think the LBs suffered in pass coverage, and this was exploited.

I also think, even though the team registered a fair number of sacks and QB hurries, that the pass rush wasn't all that great and that a LOT of the sacks were coverage sacks. So I guess what I'm saying is, when we only rushed four, eventually someone got open a lot of the time.

Bottom line, though - we're talking about the difference between a very, very good defense and being the BEST! Valid discussion, but we should keep that in perspective.