New math?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by shane0911, Mar 1, 2014.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

This is also my situation. I could write a novel, but simple algebra kicks my ass. I have come up with a good math study method for my 7th grader, though. I can't "help" her with math, but when she has a test, she teaches me the material. If she can teach me to where I can understand it, then I know she knows it. And it serves as a good review for her.

It's funny how things come back to you, though. As "special" as I was in math all the way through college, I had no trouble at all with the math in chemistry and physics--loved it, in fact, and made A's. When I was helping her study for her semester exam for science in December, there was a huge chemistry section, and I remembered how much I enjoyed that subject.

2. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

3rd grade. It is one of the 'approved' ways of solving a problem. We parents had to learn the 'approved' ways so we could help them. She brought home a pre STAR test this week. Now they took that simple sticks and dots and made it into a base 10 block matrix that is annoying as hell.

Mind you, this is her first year doing math this way. Before, it was the old and simple way of counting on your fingers and memorizing. They changed things around a bit and now all of us parents are like WTF? our kids have not done things this way before. I'm sure it is all good when they start this way and not change the rules in the middle of the game.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

But when they grasp it, then they can grasp base 2 . . . and binary math is the basis of computing.

4. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

I will admit that it is a way of solving a large multiplication problem without doing multiplication. They still have to memorize multiplication up to the number 12 so all is not lost.

5. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Third grade calculator:

[​IMG]

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

If you saw my example of multiplying 247 x 38, it's how I do it in my head. So yes learning blocks of 10 is crucial early on. Really really learning why it's important to grasp the concept. Good stuff.