New OC Thread...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by phi1514, Nov 28, 2009.

1. phi1514

phi1514 Founding Member

Let's hear it guys. Who are the top 3 - 5 on our short list for new offensive coordinators? We all know that Crowton is a dead stick...as he should be with the total underachievement by this team on that side of the ball this year. If Porter's hire today is any indication, it could be the first of numerous purges on the offensive side of the ball (OC, O-line coach, RB coach, WR coach?, etc.).

2. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

Dana Holgerson - Houston OC

Bryan Harsin - Boise State OC

Norm Chow - UCLA OC

3. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

We can hire the best OC in the world and it wont matter unless either LSU or Miles makes some changes.

Of course, LSU's changes would be Miles, but Miles could simply step out of the way of the train and just recruit.

4. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

All signs point to him doing exactly that. What we're seeing is Crowtons offense. In fact, I think I remember Miles mentioning that he tried to persuade Crowton to run the ball when we were in FG range.. but he gave in to Crowtons requests.

5. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

Exactly. It's not that Miles is handcuffing Crowton. GC record shows that each year his teams offensive production goes down no matter where he has coached. The problem is that Miles isn't making the executive decisions he is paid to make and isn't handcuffing Crowton enough.

Bring on Holgerson, currently of Houston, formerly of Texas Tech, and I think fans and offensive players will be very happy.

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

People really like bringing this up, but they avoid looking deeper. These these years of down production are years when the offense replaced seniors and juniors at the key positions.

I saw enough of Crowton at LaTech with half the talent of Miss State produce more than enough yards and doing it with multiple formations and personnel, depending on the strengths of the roster and weaknesses of the opposing defense to know that LSU's issues are not in play-calling and/or game-planning from the offense.

Crowton is as respected in coaching circles as Chavis. He's not going to be unemployed for long and it's unlikely that we'll find a better replacement. Should we actually find someone his equal, he'll be playing with players coming into their collegiate peak under Crowton.

7. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

BYU fans called it many years ago... the Mormon prophecy has come true. Sorry man, but LSU offense is loaded with seniors.

Seniors
    WR - LaFell(starter for years)/Jackson
    TE - Dickson(starter for years)
    OL - Blackwell/Hitt(starter for years)
    RB - Scott/Williams/Holliday(starter or major playing time for years)

Juniors
    WR - Tolliver
    OL - Barksdale

Sophomores
    OL - Herbert/Dworaczyk/Blackwell (both have been RS so they have 3 years in the program)
    QB - Lee (RS, 3rd year in the program)
    QB - Jefferson
    RB - Ridley (only now getting playing time because the top 3 guys got hurt)

Freshman
    QB/RB - Shepard
    WR - Randle

There is absolutely nothing young about this offense, matter of fact they barely play Freshman and Sophomores. Other then Jefferson they don't even play true Sophomores... it's basically 3 years and up... in the case of Holliday it's his 5th year if I remember correctly.

8. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

What you say is true. I just don't think he is using the talent that he has the right way. Doing your thing, without regard to what you have, is putting square pegs in round holes. He doesn't seem to adapt to the talent. Yeah, you can force some pegs in the holes, but over the long term, not a good strategy.

This strategy comes across as way too conservative and "inappropriate." I think that is exactly what we have going on now.

hwr

9. Puddinhead

Puddinhead Freshman

Better find a new OC soon. GC is horrible. LSU's offense is just god awful and disappears for stretches.

10. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Which is why anyone who has seen Gary Crowton run an offense before knows that Gary Crowton is not being left alone to run this offense. I don't care what someone's "inside" sources say.