New oil discovery in US could make us energy independent

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by kedo15, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Dude, we can't (don't) even update maps on GPS right now. Take a boat out of just about anyone of Terrebonne's bayous while looking at your GPS/ At least half a dozen times, your GPS will tell you you're right on top of a huge chunk of land. Land that hasn't been there in the 20+ years of my boating life. Hell, my GPS (2005 updated) has Bayou Terrebonne reaching half way out into Lake Barre. My dad doesn't EVER remember it stretching out that far in his 45+ years of boating in that area.

$$$$$$$$$$

He who has the money, has the power. Big Oil companies have the money. Enough money and stroke to be able to hold down anyone attempting to compete.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Interesting yes, convincing . . .no.

Most of their oil is shallow production, you know. Their deep production has still not proved to be any different from any other oil. Endless pools that are produceable have NOT be found.

So you say. The literature does not really support it, however. Much of the Russian theory has been debunked by experts in the field. Witness this excellent paper by Glasby"

Hmmmm. Now I must ask for some evidence. How do you come to this conclusion?

I've worked with Harry Roberts for decades, he's a friggin' Boyd Professor and he writes up his scientific ideas in the proper fashion. His current research is about deep petroleum seepage in the Gulf of Mexico. There are a lot of articles on the internet about his reserach for your perusal in addition to his scientific papers.

There is a lot of very deep oil in the gulf and all of it has been found in the usual way--by finding the geosynclines where deep ocean sediments have been pressurized and have accumulated oil. He notes that there is deeply buried petroleum that can move along fracture zones, but he says nothing about abiogenesis at all! This article (Oil Fields Are Refilling...Naturally - Sometimes Rapidly) states very clearly that the oil they are seeing is coming from deeply buried sedimentary rock. It's biogenetic oil that is buried very deep. They do not at all suggest that it is welling up from igneous rock as some of the Russians do. Harry's remarks about a "generating system" refers to the faults and highly pressurized rock that can move the deep petroleum to the floor of the Gulf where it naturally seeps and can move into porous rocks that are accessible by modern drilling technology. He makes no suggestion about its genesis.

Not true. It has been known for many decades that we had about 200 years before depletion.

It's the Russians that tell that story, you know. You are dismissing all of the evidence to the contrary. They just haven't proved that the oil is any different than any other oil. I don't doubt that it is deep, but companies are drilling deep sediments everywhere because the current price makes it feasible to spend to money to try to get to it. But deep production alone does not prove anything about oil's origin.

It ain't just me that is not sold. It is the huge body of petroleum engineers and geologists working for oil companies and universities that have been finding and producing oil for over a century that are not convinced. If they believed it they would be all over the technology of it trying to prove more reserves.

But it hasn't happened.

3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

If the abiotic theory were true then how can light crude be made in plants from organic materials such as turkey giblets?

4. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Right, Big Oil has the money. They don't buy the junky GPS devices that are marketed to the American public by companies just trying to make a quick buck. A lot of the GPS technology commonly marketed to the American public is garbage, not even on the level of Google maps.

There are reliable GPS devices out there, you are just going to have to pay big money for it, like the military does with their GPS and like Big Oil does with theirs.

But back to just the oil that we have under the ground right now, and how to get that oil out. That is obviously a primary concern of Big Oil, and like you said, they have the money, and that oil under the ground right now will help them keep making the money. I have a hard time believing that they don't have a solid grasp on what oil is available under the earth, where it is, and what means are currently available to get it out in a cost-effective way.

5. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Maybe they do have a firm grasp of it. If they did, they wouldn't make that public knowledge, and give other countries the "know how".

Kinda like when we were developing the atomic bomb. We damn sure was gonna tell the Nazis "Hey we figured this thing out, here's how it's done."

6. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Right, but I think because the issue of our country's reliance on oil is so crucial to our national security and well-being at this time in history, that the President and Congress know what Big Oil knows, either through their own US Geological Survey scientists, through their friends in the oil industry, or through simply playing you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours with Big Oil.

7. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

I was talking about people. Secondly, drilling there would no more destroy wildlife than drilling anywhere else in Alaska. We have the technology to drill with out recreating a environmental nightmare. We have done it on the North Slope. The area Bush wants to drill in is very small when compared to the overall size of ANWR. The energy crisis is growing and we are not going to alleviate it by sitting on billions of gallons of oil because of a paranoid fear. When we laid out plans for the Alaskan pipeline the tree huggers bitched about how it would disrupt Caribou migration and threaten herds. Thankfully we did not listen and their fears never materialized. Wildlife seem to adjust to technology far better than we do. We need to go after oil where ever it is found, whether it is in Alaska, the Dakotas or offshore. Period.

8. red55

It ain't the GPS technology that is the problem as much as it is the pathetic digital base maps that are bundled with them. Many are decades old and complex land/water interface areas like in the Louisiana coastal zone or the Atchafalaya are simplified to make the files smaller.

You can bring the GPS data back to you home computer and interface it with very accurate maps and the positions are just fine.

9. red55

You don't say!

Yes, but the companies resist using that technology because if its great expense. Perhaps with $100 oil they can afford to utilize it.

It's not a paranoid fear it's a prudent concern.

The only reason that the added measures to preserve caribou migration were implemented at all was because of righteous concern from the citizens, not the largesse of Big Oil.

10. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

A world without caribou migration.

The horror.

Far better to induce artificial resource shortages. Clearly.

By the way - has anyone seen my organic soy protein? Perhaps it's under the 400 glossy mailers from the phony priests of the religion of "green" that have filled my mailbox over the last few weeks? Nope...