New oil discovery in US could make us energy independent

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by kedo15, Mar 24, 2008.

1. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Welcome to the board.

Whats your point?

2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

You get my vote for most appropriate screenname.

3. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

After thinking about it, I've decided that I'm still OK with drilling through caribou to get to oil.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

en masse. You're stupid not to know that.

6. CajinTigah

CajinTigah Founding Member

You were doing so good until you ran out of all those big words someone wrote down for you. Should have stopped before you tried one on your own.

7. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Upon further reflection, I've decided that I am stil OK with drilling through baby seals, playfully clapping their flippers while sitting atop the very last caribou, who is (somehow, someway) lounging atop the very last blue whale (beached, of course, because the melting ice as moved the shorline in so far) to get to oil.

I've also decided that science illiteracy in this context means you haven't drank the Kool-aid.

1 person likes this.
  8. tuckerman

tuckerman Veteran Member

All this talk re: Ruskie tech and abiogenic oil is ridiculous. The Russians drilled to 42K ft. (way short of their goal) because they had nothing better to do than watch the Berlin Wall collapse. There was no economic incentive to make a profit so they didn't care how long it took and expensive it was. Our own MOHO project, drilling to the top of the mantle, was cancelled due to expense, not technology, if I remember correctly. And as Red says, the US has always and continues to lead the way in drilling tech. To suggest otherwise proves one's ignorance.

Also, as far as we know all oil and natural gas, C1 -C5, is organically derived. Source rock and depth are the key determinates of the type of hydrocarbons present. If the source expelled oil, it will be trapped as such within the oil window. Burial below a certain depth (increasing heat) will crack that trapped oil into gas condensate, and below that into methane, called the gas window. Deeper burial will yield CO2. The temperature gradient varies in different basins, but the pattern is the same. Oil is simply not found in deep, hot environments.

1 person likes this.