new ole miss mascot...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu nut, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Tiger Dabbs

Tiger Dabbs T.D.

What the hell they complaining about? Were the racoons offended because thier name wasn't spelled out?!?!

Why doesn't ND have to change their name or mascot. I might have Irish heritage and the leprechaun offends me. I think I'll sue!!!Yeah right, give me a break.:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

This candidate was out there on the web. I guess it doesn't have a chance.

3. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

Frisco High...the fighting coons. That was one of the biggest deals in DFW last year. I did not have a problem with it, one of the high schools where I am at has a "Skeeter" as a mascot.

Is the old rebel mascot really that offending to folks at ole miss? what about all those statues of Robert E. Lee in city parks in Mississippi?

4. lsucurlyq

lsucurlyq Founding Member

yikes...those mascots are hideous. What was wrong with the old one- honestly it looked fine...these look like little kid cartoons drawn of WWF superstars :dis:

5. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

I don't think anyone was REALLY offended by Colonel Reb, it's just a certain group flexing their muscle because they CAN.

Welcome to the board, Stacey O. It's nice to have yet another DFW area expatriate. We've got to be the 2nd largest group on here now, after the good folks who stayed at home. I remember the Frisco 'Coons incident, too. I suppose if you live in a town for 80 years, you have to bend to pressure from all the new folks moving in to the latest "hot" suburb. Sad, isn't it?

Here in Burleson, the mascot is the Elks. Wonder when PETA is going to start bitching about that?

6. tigerintn

tigerintn Founding Member

Shouldn't the mascot be a 14 year old girl with a baby on each hip, smoking a cigarrette standing in front of a trailer.

Oh, sorry, we're trying to go the other way with stereotypes.

7. tiger1192

tiger1192 Founding Member

OMG.....EVERYONE go and vote for the Rowdy Rebel.....that is hilarious.

8. NOSA

NOSA Founding Member

Ouch. Those are absolutely horrible.

9. tigerintn

tigerintn Founding Member

I'm sure that as soon as all the PC folks find out that our mascot was derived from the Confederacy, we'll be changing our name too.

I can hear it now: The LSU Fighting Nutra Rats
    That might offend some PETA people
    Maybe is should be the LSU Non Agressive Kitty Cats (spayed of course)

10. Tiger Trey

Tiger Trey Founding Member

If Ole Miss is hellbent on

changing uniformed mascots and taking other measures to minimize the Confederate influence, then be bold and drop the name "Rebels" altogether. The university looks ridiculous with these stupid mascots and the the ways they've tried to softly prevent battle flags into VH.

I'm not a big fan of the Confederate flag, but I never mistook the crowd at an Ole Miss game for a Klan rally. Col. Reb is a pretty benign mascot IMV.

While I don't endorse slavery or racism, I see no need to completely obliterate all Old South imagery.

If the UM administration really thinks that Col. Reb or the Confederate Battle Flag is the wrong image for Ole Miss then they should change the name and face the music instead of taking these baby steps which will eventually lead to the same result with years of bitterness in Mississippi. If they are not willing to take this step then shut up and get on with more important things. Three dozen will be upset, but they'll live.