New Orleans #1 in murders--Baton Rouge #7

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Cajun Sensation, Jun 2, 2009.

1. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

br has about twice more violent crime per capita than nyc.

nyc has about 4x the property crime per capita than br.

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

never found one in portland and it has over 500k

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

there was an episode of gangland on the history channel about a gang in portland called the hoovers.

4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

that gang originated out of Los Angeles and has spread out pretty far. Alot of them in Houston

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

hey, just never found one. lived there for 5 yrs. was pre-kid too, so tons more time and money to get out and about. never saw a spot i would be scared to walk down the sidewalk with my wife (unlike other places ive lived--br, no, memphis, boston, athens)

6. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

So you'd recommend moving to hippy land?

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

my favorite place so far. wish i didnt have to leave.

of course, none of this has to do with crime. its compartmentalized everywhere. i lived in n.o. and memphis to without a single problem. people worried about crime and locking doors obsessively and clinging to a gun under the mattress are living scared, not living in reality.

8. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

I really dont buy into this line of reasoning. "our" part of the city is ok.
    Memphis has the same issues, I know them well my brother in law and sister are prosecutors. here's what I see.... thugs have vehicles, they can visit YOUR neighborhood when they take a notion. Example..... the young man on the LSU campus.

there's always been a wrong side of the tracks but when it runs amock it spills over to the other side. Keep both sides clean and everyone has a decent life.

thanks
    JS

9. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

You know, I moved to the northshore from Gentilly around 13 years ago...because of crime in my neighborhood.

I had to...I had children. They couldn't go outside without a parent around. We'd bring them to one of their friends' houses and they'd all stay inside there. I didn't grow up like that. I gave up on the city when two guys woke me up as they were stealing my truck for the third time. I shot my Browning A5 automatic twelve gauge into the ground from the second floor window near the truck. (36 in barrel, full choke, slug gun). Two guys split in six different directions!!

I left because I thought I was going to shoot somebody one day. I've had gunfights break out in front of my apartment on Gentilly boulevard!!

But it's a city that I love. No other city in America has its own culture as defined by it's own food, music, architecture, etc. No other city in America has so much soul.

That's why every time one young thug kills another one ... it hurts. Every time a 17 year old mother stabs a bus driver because she was asked to take her child out the stroller on the bus and fold it up...It hurts. The culture of death that's got no place in our culture is entrenched. That's why it hurts me and everyone else no matter where we flee to. And it's going to get a lot worse before it begins to turn around.

The city that care forgot has become the city that forgot about life !!

1 person likes this.
  10. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

news like this does not put New Orleans in any better light.

West Bank teen arrested in rape and murder of 8-month-old - NOLA.com