New Rules for 2011

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by red55, Jun 29, 2011.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

See but there's the problem. The dive into the endzone. I can see it now, Spencer Ware breaking away from the pack on a long run, and Mark Barron making up ground on him, and while Barron is on the 10, Ware dives from the 5 into the endzone. Ware gets flagged, ball is moved back to the 20, 1st and goal from the 20.

Alot of the time it's going to come down to speculation, and it's going to be in the zebra's hands.

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

You're right, but in the context of the rule change for this year, it doesn't have to be. Very simple, really: you start celebrating before you get in the end zone (and I consider diving into the end zone when its not necessary), its a live ball foul. If it happens after you've crossed the goal line, its a dead ball foul.

3. TigerCliff

TigerCliff Veteran Member

I agree

Lsu scores with 2 seconds to go Looks like LSU will win the game 21 to 17

Flag

Bama refs walk over and talk with the short guy

I can see it coming !!!

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You can already celebrate wildly with your teammates and mostly not worry about a flag except for delay of game. But, if you face the fans and do anything at all it can be considered taunting, hot-dogging, etc.

All a player needs to remember is to face the field and celebrate with his teammates, don't showboat for the fans. A Penalty on the kickoff hasn't stopped the unsportsmanlike conduct. Taking 6 off the board seems harsh to the teammates who didn't misbehave. So, how about loss of PAT opportunity or some other compromise that still has teeth.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

There's the question though, who decides what's necessary and what's not? How many yards back does a player have to be? Very very speculative still in my opinion, and that isn't good for college football.

6. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Same rule as in the pros and it's needed. I would assume they don't have the option to run off the time if the clock is stopped when the penalty happens. That't the rule in the pros.

Still subjective as to whether or not the guy celebrated going into the end zone. A guy dives with a defender close but not real close, could go either way. Did he pump his fist and point to the crowd before or after he crossed the line. It's all still very subjective.

7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I love the rule. Force them to act like members of organized sports and not some damn backyard bonanza.

Once you cross the goal line, you can dance all you want and the team will get the 15yds. Points will only come off the board for acting like an idiot before you get there. Deshaun Jackson should know all about this right? Doing his stupid monkey flips and what not. Lucky I'm not the prez of the rules club, anything but the Barry Sanders would get you 15 the other way.

So in the end this should be very simple and not affect us at all. Don't act like an ass and there will be no flag. Les should be able to drive this home, if not, a few trips to the top of Death Valley should work it out of them.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

this is whats going to happen. someone will make some huge play, defensive td or some **** with almost no time left on the clock to win the game and they will go nuts celebrating. then its going to be taken off the board.

actually the previous rule was bad enough. plenty bad enough where it effected the game more than it should ever be intended. now they can effect the outcome directly. unbelievable.

I cant wait to see how this plays out in auburn on a weekly basis.

another example of old fat white men wanting the rest of the world to be miserable like them. stay the **** out of the game and count your sec money, aholes.

9. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I agree for the most part but we would lose some iconic moments in sports when athletes were overwhelmed with joy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XzXTYjfbDk"]YouTube - ‪SuperBowl 44 - Tracy Porter Interception‬‏[/ame]

10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Hmmm, well that is the No Fun League. When I look at this from a political standpoint I absolutely hate it. I am now officially torn.