New Rules for 2011

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by red55, Jun 29, 2011.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

The referees are to decide, and they can be given specific guidelines to follow, for example; no diving if, once the ballcarrier is 2 yards from the goalline and is not being impeded, he can not dive unless a defender is within 2 yards of him. I agree that rules that allow too much interpretation can cause problems, but this doesn't have to be one of those rules.

2. mctiger

Actually, that's the least subjective part. The ball crossing the goalline is the difference between live ball and dead ball penalty. Now the dive....LaSalle brought that one up as well, and I addressed it in the response to him posted just before this one.

3. mctiger

Well, taking 6 off the board because a wide receiver lined up in the backfield instead of on the line seems pretty harsh too, if the team happens to score on the play. Bottom line is, if you know what the rule is, you don't break it, or you accept the penalty if you do.

1 person likes this.
  4. mctiger

Oh, please. The iconic moment on that video occurred at :19 when Porter picked Manning, not at :23 when he started playing to the crowd.

BTW, that happened in the NFL. We're discussing a college rule change.

edit: and you know, the playing-to-the-crowd aspect of celebrating doesn't bother me that much. In the case of the Porter int, take out the pointing and strutting before he reaches the end zone and I don't see why anything he did should be a penalty (in college). Strut and pose for the fans in the end zone, after you've finished the job. Its when celebrating becomes taunting of the opponent that flags should come out.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

of course its interpretation no matter how its stated. this is what refs do and will do in this instance. its horrible.

anyone who is aware the refereeing sucks must hate this rule if they have half a brain cell. this is one more thing they will **** up. because they can.

did everyone suddenly forget that on a weekly basis these idiots in the sec cant even get a call right even though 10 replays show the exact opposite of their call?

now you think they are going to do right on a judgment call effecting a score and outcome of the game? no ****ing thank you.

think of refs like you should the govt. the less they affect anything, the better.

no it doesnt if you know why there are rules. the play is illegal therefore the score never counted. thats the nature of football. running plays and executing them to almost perfection and being rewarded.

crap like celebrating has nothing to do with football or the play itself or the execution of it. its irrelevant. or at least should be.

6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Have you ever played sports competitively? I mean, comments like that makes it seem like you've never left it all on a field of play..

Its an emotional game, hell, I jump, scream and dance in my own living room every Saturday...... I feel to my knees in 2008 at the OT loss to Bama.....

The emotion will come out and when it does, it will be a flag now.....:(

1 person likes this.
  7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

shane just hates blacks. and they do most of the scoring.

8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

LOL

:thumb:

9. mctiger

I boldfaced my favorite line. :lol: But to your point, no matter how clearly its written, every rule becomes subjective if the refs simply blow the call. Here's an example of about half a dozen clear-cut rules that suddenly became subjective in one game:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBMasEG1BS8]YouTube - ‪Outrage Down on the Bayou‬‏[/ame]

So I guess the solution is to get rid of all the rules. Somehow I don't think that will work. Like you said, you have to know why there are rules. In the case of celebratory rules, someone decided down the line that excessive celebrating becomes taunting, and can lead to trouble down the line. Remember TO getting nailed when he posed on the Cowboys star? I don't remember anything like that happening in college, but you know there are some programs that seem to indulge that mentality. The rule is a pro-active move to prevent that kind of thing.

10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Of course I have, and I completely understand emotion. I also see Tirks point as well. Hell EVERY flag that is throw is a judgement call is it not? Was it PI or was it not? Was it holding or not? This does in fact make it more cloudy because it is putting a lot more responsibility in a place where it clearly doesn't belong.

On the flip side, I see NOTHING wrong with telling these guys DO NOT ACT LIKE AN ASS before you cross the damn goal line and there is hell to pay if you do. I was always glad that our boys didn't do a lot of this crap. The John Cena doesn't bother me, the pointing in the stnads doesn't bother me, the taking a knee is fine. But anything that resembles dion sanders punk ass deserves a penalty just on principal. It is busch league and we should be better than that. All about class not ass unless it belongs to one of those chics in a bud lee thread.

1 person likes this.