NEW Upper West Side Question

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DeafValleyBatnR, Jun 26, 2004.

1. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

Does anybody know what they are doing to the stadium if they can't take it down till after the 2004 season.

I sure am glad I sit in the Southeast so I do not have to go over there.

2. Lump

Lump Founding Member

i believe the plan all along was to take it down after the 2004 season...the work thus far is just in preparation.

3. mgreer1

mgreer1 Founding Member

They are driving a ton of concrete piles and they took down the esclator so like Lump said all the preparation so that they can take off the deck as soon as we finish playing our last home game.

4. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

They took down the esclator. Man that is going to piss off some folks walking up those steps next year. :shock:

5. alumni95

alumni95 Founding Member

they're putting in temp construction elevators for the games.

somehow it just doesn't make that much sense to me. how many days did it take to take the elevators down? how much does it cost for the temp elevators.

i don't understand the logic there.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The escalator was a heap. Leaked like a sieve, broke down all of the time and was expensive to maintain. That's one reason why there will be no escalators in the new deck, just ramps and elevators.

The current upper deck seating and press box will be removed immediately following the last 2004 home game. The existing ramps will be retained. The pile driving is for the new superstructure now being built in front of the ramps where the elevators will be.

The new deck, with three press box and club levels, is scheduled to be ready for the first home game of 2005. I'll believe it when I see it.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Does anyone know what the capacity will be after the renovation? Is it significant?

8. mgreer1

mgreer1 Founding Member

I have heard that capacity will not change much plus or minus. The idea was to increase the number of club seats, I do not know how much it will affect the amount of seats on the actual deck. Hopefully everyone will be able to keep their seats either way.

I am with you Red I will have to see it to believe it that they will put that big boy up in less than 365 days.

9. ramah

ramah Founding Member

http://www.lsusports.net/ad/sportlink.cfm?pagecode=fb-tigerstadium

Construction is currently underway for a $60 million renovation to the west side of the stadium that will add 3,255 special amenity seats as a well as a state-of-the-art press box to Tiger Stadium. The west side renovation, which includes the removal and rebuilding of the upper deck to mirror the east side upper deck, is scheduled to be completed for the 2005 season.

They'll get it done ... you can bet your last dime on it ... I just wish they'd quit dicking around and do it ... you know this renovation is just a simple plan for the future construction of a horseshoe or full encirclement and joining of east and west ... where they connect one or both of the end zones ... what a magnificent day that will be ...

100,000+ howling Tiger fans ... I hope to live to see it

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Only about 800 new seats will be added to total capacity. The emphasis is on more premium seats with high surcharges.

I don't think the South End Zone upper deck will ever happen. South Stadium Drive, an importrant campus thouroughfare, would have to be closed. A North End Zone upper deck would also close a street and seriously impinge on the PMAC.

More importantly, LSU is not really interested in further expansion. There have been empty seats in the upper decks for most games, even last year. There will never be enough demand for endzone seats to fill an "upper bowl". It would just never pay for itself. The problem is that the lower bowl at LSU is huge! Those upper deck endzone seats are just too far from the field, people won't pay for that poor a view, not with so many TV games. The higher parts of the present sideline upper decks are very poor seats that people avoid if they can.

Complicating the situation is that the original sections of the stadium are over 80 years old, have dark and narrow ramp areas, and have some real structural issues that will eventually require their replacement. The entire lower bowl will have to be replaced before any further expansion can be considered. Joe Dean did an estimate on that job once and found that it would be far cheaper to go over to river road and build a new 100,000-seat Tiger stadium.