New York Giants courting Saban?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSU4Life, Dec 4, 2002.

1. LSU4Life

LSU4Life Founding Member

Giants | Saban Note - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
    5:51 PT: The New York Daily News reports LSU coach Nick Saban could be the New York Giants No. 1 choice for head coach, IF they fire current coach Jim Fassel. So far, there have been no meetings on the subject, no list of candidates assembled, and no decision on Fassel's fate. Fassel's fate will become clear over the Giants final four games.

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Lets not go down this road.... I have already seen the Saban to bears.

As in last year, Saban will be on everyones list as always.

It means nothing... Lets just not do this anymore.

At least I wont.

3. Skrayper

Skrayper Founding Member

What is it with Saban and Fran anyways?

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Japanese Bomb Pearl Harbor! Dewey Defeats Truman!

This old story just keeps coming back like a bent quarter. Only the names change.

Any competent general manager in the football business will consider the top eight or ten talents in the country and try for them when he has an opening. Why not? It only tells us that we've got a top talent for a coach. This will happen every year.

We don't need a Franchione meltdown here. This is our third year of hearing these rumors, Bama is just now experiencing it. To them its a distraction from the probation/death penalty thing. To us it's a distraction to our recruits.

Coaches (and Chancellors) don't discourage these rumors, its how they get pay raises. Don't forget that they have agents out there whose job is to shop them on the market for potential new opportunites.

5. LSU4Life

LSU4Life Founding Member

I think we'll always have the pros courting Saban. It just comes with the turf of having a high-caliber coach. I know he's not going anywhere - he's just starting to enjoy his recruiting classes. I was just reporting the latest buzz. Don't go off the handle, people.

6. TexasTigers

Get LSU4Life !!!! Get Him !!!!! ;)

(just kidding my friend, I think all of us are so beaten down by this stupid Fran to A&M thing none of us care about, and were hoping we did not have to deal with all the rumors from last year)

I got I am back on the handle.

7. chuck

chuck Founding Member

the big question is . .

if he is being seriously mentioned, is he going to come out and address it head on to dispell rumors?

I think the fact that he didn't do it last year hurt your recruiting a little bit.

As of right now you are on track for a fantastic class.

8. TexasTigers

Saban is one who ignores the press, he hates them. (Which I would to) he does not think it is his job to dispell rumors. He did when asked by Finebaum on that stupid internet post Frannie bought hook line and sinker, but usually if the press writes it, he ignores it.

I guess I understand why, but your point is very very valid. Our rivals did use that against us (your Obamanu guy said he was considering LSU, but dropped them because he was told that Saban might not be around for his college years) Although I am not saying Tubbs did, but somehow he believed that.

Anyway irrelevant. Saban is here, and we will be back. (once we get a Q.B)

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Saban address this rumor?

No. He's going to publicly ignore it. These offers raise a coaches perceived value. He'll probably get another raise because LSU can see that he has other opportunites and they will give him something to show that they value him.

Chuck, you may not have heard over in the barn, but last year our chancellor was courted by another SEC school and LSU ended up giving him a 70% raise, making him one of the highest-paid chancellors in the country.

Hell, I'm just a mid-level project manager at LSU and I parleyed an out-of-state job offer into a $5,000 raise a few years ago. When one is in an unclassified position at a university, anything is possible...including an abrubt firing, unfortunately.

"You are employed at the pleasure of the LSU Board of Supervisors"

10. LSU4Life

LSU4Life Founding Member

I looked out the window, and there was a mass of people there with torches and pitchforks. What does that mean?