Newest ESPN Article

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JoeReckless, Feb 22, 2006.

1. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

I thought it was a reminder to your self.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

I will generally say that I think this thread is kind of interesting... it's been a while (perhaps never) that we're actually analyzing Brady's psycho-press babble as opposed to bashing him and calling for his head... oh, perhaps that's because we've clinched the SEC West AGAIN? :hihi: :geauxtige

Seriously though, I can see where fans might disagree on the "attitude" projected by a coach. I do agree generally, basketball is a little different animal than football. It's a long season, lots of games played, and I think Brady generally wants to respect other teams other coaches. It's just the diplomatic thing to do. I ALSO think that Brady has traditionally operated from a position of weakness. When he got here, we WERE ALWAYS the underdog in the probation years--he had to always downplay expectations and live the underdog role... "oh, we'd be lucky to win..." and then of course, his teams would play "above" their ability and pull off the upset here and there. I actually think this was done for the players' AND fans' sakes. I do think you don't want to come across as too brash, and I think you'd find that other SEC basketball coaches act fairly consistently ... i.e., all coaches talk about how tough it is in the SEC, tough to win road games, we have to bring our A game to win on their court... bla bla bla. I've actually been pleasantly surprised that SO many coaches have come out and publicly praised Brady's team (how talented they are (Stansbury, Gottfried, Stallings), how they execute in the halfcourt (Donovan), so, I don't think Brady needs to exude so much more "confidence."

The interesting thing is how Brady acts NEXT year. I'd like to see whether there's an evolution of sorts over the off season. If we get all of our players back, WE will be the favorites, WE will have the target on our chests for every game. Will Brady act like a coach whose team is a top 10 team? Will he act more confidently and have his team exude that confidence, thereby bringing the fans to new levels of expectations? Or, will he be downplaying how good his team publicly, acting humble, but behind closed doors, riding his team to achieve what hasn't be achieved in a long time, which is to be a consistently ranked SEC champion pursuing greater things in the post season?

I don't have any real problems with the humble, underdog approach--it's worked. I wonder though if it really has anything to do with the way fans perceive him. Probably not. I've come to the ultimate conclusion... the fans want a winner. We're doing that now. :geauxtige :bball: :champs:

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I agree, but it's an issue of expectations & previous accomplishments. Our basketball team isn't yet a staple for the top 25. We haven't established an ability to beat superior teams on the road, etc.