News anchors during bad weather situations

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUTiga, Jan 23, 2016.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

A huge percentage of the people who died in the '79 tornado that wiped out so much of Wichita Falls were in there cars.

You need to get a storm cellar @StaceyO . Pack plenty of wine in there. Makes the time go by a little better :)

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I'm not most people

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

11 of the 13 who were killed the day after Christmas in Garland/Rowlett were in their cars--tossed off of an overpass connecting two highways. One problem was that it was already dark, and the people likely didn't even see the tornado. The only pictures captured were when lightning would strike.

[​IMG]

4. StaceyO

Yep, it was way too warm (80 degrees) on December 26th in North Texas (with a blizzard a couple of hundred miles to the west.) Additionally, it was supposed to rain all day, but it didn't, allowing the sun to come out and warm up the atmosphere even more. All of the ingredients were in place for an outbreak. The next morning, it was 35 degrees.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

the great Fort Worth tornado in 2000 was in March I think, I remember that thing tore up some buildings downtown.

6. StaceyO

Yes, it was at the end of March, so it wasn't as unexpected. I believe it was an EF-3, and the city was very lucky that it didn't hit just a couple of hours earlier at rush hour. A couple of the buildings downtown were so damaged they had to be imploded.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

There was also a really bad one that hit south Ag town too while I was living there.

8. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Years ago (late 60's) My grandparents were very fortunate. They milked a few cows and had a small dairy 50 yards from the house. One was in their house and the other was in their dairy A tornado passed between the house and the dairy, then hit & leveled a barn 75 yards farther to the west of the house.