Next celebrity death

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by islstl, Aug 2, 2009.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

She was pretty famous. That's all it takes.

2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

She was very overshadowed by Yoko, so most of my generation have never heard of the first Mrs. Lennon.

But The Beatles, themselves, carry on nicely. Both of my daughters can recognize a Beatles song and at least the names of the band if they hear them.

3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

True on that...yoko and Linda McCartney were the most well-known I think. Speaking of which, there used to be a couple of radio dj's out here that would play this clip on audio and laugh their asses off. They got complaints but I laughed too.

4. red55

Yoko and Linda were out front and more high-profile, for sure. Cynthia Lennon, Maureen Starkey, and Patti Boyd Harrison were more stay-in-the-background types . . .at least until Patti moved in with Eric Clapton and Ringo and George both moved on to high-profile wives. But they have all been known to fans for many years and have been written up a hundred times in Beatles books and documentaries. Enough to be considered a celebrity, I think.

5. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

At the very least some high profile groupies

6. red55

If you think Linda's singing was bad, her keyboard playing in Wings was pathetic. Half a dozen Wings musicians over the years got fired by Paul for complaining about her unprofessionalism. In truth, Linda wanted to be a Mom and just hang out at one of their estates. But McCartney insisted that she be a part of the band and go on tour along with the kids and she did whatever he wanted. Finally he allowed her to leave the music business to him and she became devoted to family, veggie cookbooks, and animal rights causes.

7. red55

The well-documented groupie was Linda. She ran around with dozens of rock musicians before latching onto Paul. Yoko was a gold-digger and so are the other second-wives, probably. But Cynthia and Maureen were simple Liverpool girls dating Beatles long before they were famous and just got caught up in it all.

Patti Boyd is the interesting one. She was a model that George met during the filming of a Hard Day's Night and later married. Years later she took up with Eric Clapton who actually remained close friends with George. Harrison wrote "Something" and "I Need You" about her and Clapton wrote "Layla" and "Wonderful Tonight" about her. She must have been quite an inspiration!

[​IMG]

8. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

We call those d**kwreckers today.......

I never could understand any attraction to Yoko, I guess she had a hell of a personality......always wondered how she scored Lennon.

9. red55

Millions never understood Yoko, including me. Insiders say that she was a mother figure to Lennon, who lost his own mother very young. She basically devoted herself to Lennon's welfare and made him feel secure.

Kind of creepy, if you ask me. "Mommy" is not something I've ever looked for in a woman.

StaceyO likes this.
  10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Didn't Paul write Hey Jude for Julian Lenon because John and Julian's mom had split up of was that an old wives tale?