Next celebrity death

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by islstl, Aug 2, 2009.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Don't know if anyone here read his books, but novelist Clive Cussler died today at 88. Cussler created the character Dirk Pitt, a marine engineer who managed to get himself into all kinds of predicaments. In fiction, he found the Titanic 10 years before it happened in real life. One of my favorite authors.

Frogleg and kcal like this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I read almost all of those books.

kcal likes this.
  3. mctiger

One of them, Flood Tide, was set partially here in Morgan City. I wish he had consulted me; I could have helped him with some of the detail.

I think my favorite Dirk Pitt moment was in Atlantis Found, the one when neo-Nazis plan to create a global disaster and introduce the Fourth Reich in the aftermath. Dirk ends up with some of their Third Reich relics, including Adolph and Eva's ashes, which he is supposed to bring to the White House and give to the president. But when the president opens the urns, they're empty, because Dirk had first made a trip to a White House restroom and flushed them.

kcal and Bengal B like this.
  4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Can you elaborate?

5. mctiger

I was off by a year.....the wreck of the Titanic was found in 1985. Cussler wrote Raise The Titanic!, in which the ship is found (by Dirk Pitt) and raised in order to retrieve a rare element being transported in the hold, in 1976. Actually, Cussler set his Dirk Pitt novels several years in the future, and he set RTT! in 1987, so.....2 years behind.

Winston1 likes this.
  6. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

7. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I guess with everything going on, this one flew under the radar, but Kenny Rogers passed away of natural causes at 81 on Friday. Never was a huge fan, but the timing sucks because I've been seeing advertisements for some sort of retirement special that was getting set to air. Not sure how long ago it was filmed, but doesn't look like he's in poor health. RIP

Bengal B likes this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Somebody posted it in FSA

9. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

just saw this....first Dirk Pitt novel i read was Sahara...flying from NOLA to Alaska, i couldn't put the book down...Truly riveting...he will be missed

mctiger, Bengal B and kcal like this.
  10. mctiger

They made that one into a movie, with Matt McGonna - however you spell it. Didn't work for me, but I never really did figure out what actor would have been the right Dirk Pitt. A young Harrison Ford maybe.