Next Years Offense

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDad, Apr 18, 2014.

1. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Talking about looking into the football team.......

HIGH SCHOOL
    Earned all-state and all-district recognition in baseball (2B) and football (QB) and was selected to play in the 2011 Louisiana High School Baseball All-Star Game … hit .371 in 2011 at Barbe High with nine home runs, 33 RBI and 15 stolen bases … committed only four errors all season as a second baseman … also played two seasons for the Barbe basketball team … a member of the Academic Honor Roll.

Jared Foster

2. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Trey Quinn, Caught 67 passes for 1,238 yards and nine TDs as a freshman when his quarterback was current LSU baseball outfielder Jared Foster. FYI

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I feel like I was robbed from at least 1 more badger season.

And Bolden is transferring again? He's the only player on the roster that's taken a snap at quarterback against Alabama. Or was anyway.

VampMuse and LSUDad like this.
  4. LaSalleAve

Dad and Bhelm, any insight on the QB race or the OLine?

LSUDad likes this.
  5. VampMuse

VampMuse Veteran Member

I may be crazy, probably am, but I actually think TM7 in 2012 = national championship. I think he comes up big enough on the special teams and defense that a few games swing our way, morale is better, and we win it all.

didit and LSUDad like this.
  6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

There is no race as of this time. They report in August. At that time, let the race begin.

Sunday, August 3: LSU Football Team Reports to Camp
    Monday, August 4 - First Day of Preseason Practice

What I see is both QB's playing, also a read option at times.

As for the OL, so much I could write on this one. I like the depth and talent we have on the OL. Think of this one, the last time we had two OL taken in the same draft year, 2001. Since 2001, we have only had 5 linemen drafted into the NFL. We should have 5 drafted within the next 2-3 years. I see at least 3 linemen that will be sitting the bench, that could be starting on SEC teams. Pocic, Boutte and Washington or Hoko. Maybe more. Think of this one, Tenn is having to replace the starting 5 off of last years OL.

The addition of Grimes will be paying off this year, improving the pass blocking, learning to play as one. Over the years, LSU has had some very good OL Coaches. Hal Hunter, Larry Zierlein, Rick Trickett, Stacy Searels and Pete Mangurian are a few that come to mind. Grimes is in this class. Looking at his resume, this sticks out with me........

"Grimes earned four letters as an offensive tackle for UTEP between 1987 and 1990, including three years under former Boise State and Arizona State head coach Dirk Koetter when he was UTEP’s offensive coordinator. He also spent two years playing for current Kansas City Chiefs’ head coach Andy Reid."

Koetter is the OC with the Falcons and Reid is the HC in KC.

Oh, in the interview with Mike D, Scott Long asks about the line:

Mike: I agree 1000%. It is the most talented and with the most depth ever at LSU. It is the key to their offense in 2014. Early on you are going to have to run the ball and control the clock and also not put great pressure on your QB to convert long 3rd down plays. This is a really good unit and they will lean on their running game early. What I want to see is how much they have improved in the pass protection part of the game. Jeff Grimes is a good coach and a good teacher of technique. LSU was lacking in that department in protecting the QB. But with La'el Collins, Jerald Hawkins, Elliott Porter, Evan Washington and Vadal Alexander, along with Hoko Fanaika, Josh Boutte and Ethan Pocic, that is a lot of talented beef upfront. Best group I have ever seen in one season at LSU. Big part of the Tigers' offensive production is in their hands in 2014. I feel really good about this group. You gotta win in the trenches and this unit is really good.

This unit could be the best in college football. That is saying a mouthful, but they are really good.

didit likes this.
  7. LaSalleAve

That's probably one of the most uncrazy things I've ever heard

VampMuse likes this.
  8. LaSalleAve

Oh I remember Koetter and the 500 yards some no name Sam Keller and company put up on us in Walt Disney Devil Stadium.

LSUDad likes this.
  9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, they best utilize that depth better than Studrawa did. if they can play they need to get into the game. Depth is wasted if you don't use it.

LSUDad likes this.
  10. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I kind of agree but it seems like backup O-Line guys never get into the game unless it's a blowout.