Next Years Offense

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDad, Apr 18, 2014.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Regarding the read option comment, how much does coaching factor into perfecting that play? I would think it could be a good play behind our physical O-Line but I wouldn't expect Cam or Miles to have much experience "teaching" the QB how to use it effectively. When we've used it sparingly over the past few years, it never seemed as natural as other teams that ran it.

2. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

Very true. But with all due respect, the read option isn't as difficult as learning to read a pass defense, or picking up the blitz. Once the play is called, its as simple as keep it or hand it off based on the DE biting. Now knowing to change the play at the line is another beast in itself.

LSUDad likes this.
  3. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

The read option can be taught, you have the best OC in college football. Cam took a WR and did this:

While at Indiana, Randle El became the first player in NCAA Division I history to pass for 40 career touchdowns and score 40 career rushing touchdowns.[2] In 2001, he was awarded the Chicago Tribune Silver Football, presented by the Chicago Tribune to the Most Valuable Player of the Big Ten Conference. He finished his college career as fifth on the all-time NCAA total yardage list, and became the first player in college football history to record 2,500 total yards for each of four consecutive years.

Of course Cams OC there was Hal Hunter, former LSU HC and Asst. Coach.

didit and TigerTap like this.
  4. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

Reading that gave me a Boner. Damnit son! I can't wait to see my tigers turn Wisconsin into a grilled cheese samich.

didit, LSUDad and StaceyO like this.
  5. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

Trust me, if LSU can be successful at it and regularly work it in, I would love it. It definitely gives the defense something else to not only prepare for, but keeps them honest as well. Football (especially college) has and is continually evolving into the need for a QB with wheels. More and more the read option is becoming relevant and included into teams playbooks now so even in the NFL. Its a dangerous weapon when executed properly and if LSU can make it a part of their game with the continued emphasis on power running, it makes for an offense that can beat you in multiple ways while managing possession, field position, extending drives, wearing down defenses and giving your own defense more time to rest.

cajdav1, gyver and LSUDad like this.
  6. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

Many have brought up that the offensive line will be a strength this season. My question to you is this though, won't the blocking scheme be different this season? How much will changing schemes from last season to this season effect the oline's performance earlier in the year this year?

LSUDad likes this.
  7. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I wouldn't worry too much on the OL this year. You see guys go into the NFL and pickup new blocking schemes and termonology very quickly. Grimes is known as one of the best in college coaching. I have heard nothing but great things with his coaching and recruiting. A major upgrade.

As for our OL, I see at least three backups that could be starting for most colleges. Tenn had to replace the starting five from last years OL , they might be able to use some of our backups.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    TigerTap likes this.
  8. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

LSU running back Terrence Magee named to Doak Walker Award watch list

LSU Tigers running back Terrence Magee (14) ran for a career-high 149 yards against Texas A&M last season. (BRETT DUKE / THE TIMES-PICAYUNE)
    [​IMG] By Jim Kleinpeter, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
    Follow on Twitter
    on July 17, 2014 at 9:22 AM, updated July 17, 2014 at 10:09 AM

[​IMG]
    LSU senior running back Terrence Magee is one of 53 nominations for the Doak Walker Award, presented to the top running back in the nation.

Magee emerged as LSU's second-leading rusher with 626 yards and eight touchdowns. He had a career-high 149 yards against Texas A&M. He also caught six passes for 49 yards. He is expected to be a major contributor even with 5-star running back Leonard Fournette joining the fold in 2014.

Nebraska running back Ameer Abdullah. Abdullah, the nation's leading returning rusher after compiling 1,690 in 2013, leads the list of nominees, along with South Carolina's Mike Davis and Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon, whom the Tigers will face in the season opener in Houston.

Semifinalists will be named Nov. 18 by PwC SMU Athletic Forum Board of Directors Finalists will be announced Nov. 24. The committee will cast a second vote beginning on December 1 to determine the recipient. The winner will be announced live on The Home Depot College Football Awards on Thursday, December 11, on ESPN.

The complete list of nominees is as follows:

Ameer Abdullah (Sr.), Nebraska

Jay Ajayi (Jr.), Boise State
    Javorius "Buck" Allen (Jr.), USC

Leon Allen (Jr.), Western Kentucky

Terry Baggett (Sr.), Army

Bill Belton (Sr.), Penn State

Malcolm Brown (Sr.), Texas
    Tra Carson (Jr.), Texas A&M
    B.J. Catalon (Jr.), TCU
    David Cobb (Sr.), Minnesota
    Tevin Coleman (Jr.), Indiana
    Alex Collins (So.), Arkansas
    James Conner (So.), Pittsburgh

Marcus Cox (So.), Appalachian State

Mike Davis (Jr.), South Carolina

Kenneth Dixon (Jr.), Louisiana Tech

Jahwan Edwards (Sr.), Ball State

Kenneth Farrow (Jr.), Houston

Josh Ferguson (Jr.), Illinois
    D.J. Foster (Jr.), Arizona State
    Melvin Gordon (Jr.), Wisconsin

Michael Gordon (Jr.), Arkansas State

Johnathan Gray (Jr.), Texas
    Todd Gurley (Jr.), Georgia
    Kenneth Harper (Sr.), Temple
    Alonzo Harris (Sr.), Louisiana-Lafayette

Derrick Henry (So.), Alabama

Bronson Hill (Sr.), Eastern Michigan

Joe Hill (Sr.), Utah State
    Duke Johnson (Jr.), Miami
    Jeremy Langford (Sr.), Michigan State

Daniel Lasco (Jr.), California

Shock Linwood (So.), Baylor
    Robert Lowe (Jr.), Texas State
    Tre Madden (Jr.), USC
    Terrence Magee (Sr.), LSU
    Raymond Maples (Sr.), Army
    Byron Marshall (Jr.), Oregon
    Kevin Parks (Sr.), Virginia
    Christian Powell (Jr.), Colorado
    Donnel Pumphrey (So.), San Diego State

Josh Robinson (Jr.), Mississippi State

William Stanback (So.), UCF

Cameron Stingily (Sr.), Northern Illinois

Kelvin Taylor (So.), Florida
    Thomas Tyner (So.), Oregon
    Jamaal Williams (Jr.), BYU

Jonathan Williams (Jr.), Arkansas

Trey Williams (Jr.), Texas A&M

Aaron Wimberly (Sr.), Iowa State

T.J. Yeldon (Jr.), Alabama

Kelsey Young (Sr.), Stanford

Zach Zwinak (Sr.), Penn State

9. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Looking back, 9 players return from being in games last year from the OL. Six of those started at least one game.

To return all of the TE's from last year and add another in this years signing class. DeSean Smith played in 13 games last year. Stokes started 3 games and played in all 13. Dickson played in 12 and started 1. Gordon played in all 13 starting 12. The line along with TE's allow LSU to do a number of things other than lineup and run the ball.

gyver likes this.
  10. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Not that I am happy with out current QB situation, but LSU won 13 games with Jarrett Lee and Jordan Jefferson as QBs. It doesn't get any shakier than those two. With a solid O-Line, good performance from the RBs and a return to dominance from the Defense, this team could finish anywhere from undefeated to four losses. If history is any indication, my money is on undefeated rather than four losses.

gyver, VampMuse, Winston1 and 2 others like this.