Next Year's Offense

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by b L e S e U r, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Tigernator

Tigernator Founding Member

1. Justin Vincent
    2. Alley Broussard
    3. Shyrone Carey
    4. Barrington Edwards
    5. Joseph Addai

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Oh, that Terrell. At first I thought you were talking about Terrell Owens.

3. b L e S e U r

b L e S e U r Founding Member

I know you think I am crazy for listing Addai first. But I have been looking at some of his highlights and I really believe he has just as much potential as all of the others to be the featured back. I really think he was not 100% healthy mentally and physically this year, and alot of the time ran timidly. But he has all the tools and is going to be on a mission to prove himself. I consider him a combination of henderson and broussard and this is a good mix. I think he may earn the job. Laugh if you want. This is in no way a knock on Vincent, or any of the other backs who could star at any school they chose to play at.

4. NOSA

NOSA Founding Member

I do think some people underrate Addai. I still don't think he will wind up starting but I loved him in the role of third down back this year. I thought he did very well. I also think Broussard gets overrated a tad because of his power.

5. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

can someone please tell me the difference between wr and slot besides lining up on the inside. I played football in highschool for a year but was on the line so i didn't have to pay much attention to the formation, just to where the ball was being run or where to pass protect.

6. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Addai DOES have potential....BUT, the potential he displayed most this past season was the potential to fumble the ball away to the other team when we least needed it (not that turnovers are ever "needed")....

I love the way he runs hard--he's a power runner, just like Broussard, but Addai needs to learn to stop holding that damn ball with one hand, or like a loaf of bread!

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Depends on the team and how their OC designs the offense. I've seen every kind of athlete imaginable at the slot. Jerry even played the slot for the 49ers in a palyoff game so he could go in motion a lot to get away from Deion. I would say that usually a slot receiver is more of a smaller guy than the wideouts, maybe a little quicker off the ball and has a little better moves. he is used as a decoy much more than the wideouts and picks the Corner to free up the wideout on slants. That being said though, we ran the bubble screen to all 3 receivers this year, usually with Skyler and Devery in the open field and with Clayton if we were in close or needed 6 or less for a first down.

Wideouts usually have better deep speed, but again when you have 3 guys that can run like we had there isn't much difference in top end speed. Skyler had incredible explosiveness off the line and that lets him get open for the quick slants and also made DB's back off of him a little more on many plays. The only other thing I would had is that a slot receiver tends to take shorter strides than a wideout. Anyway, some teams don't even call a player a slot, they just call them all receivers.

8. COTIGERFAN20

COTIGERFAN20 Freshman

Two words....Vincent....Run! Nuff said

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Two words.....unstoppable offense

10. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but with a new QB (regardless who it is) and new WRs, it'll take some time for them to get it together. It doesn't matter how much they practice together during the offseason, you can't simulate game speed.

I expect the passing game to be sluggish the first couple of games ... we'll have 2 games to work out the kinks before our brutal SEC stretch starts!