Next year's rotation....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BigJ4LSU, Jun 15, 2003.

1. BigJ4LSU

BigJ4LSU Founding Member

Friday-Mestepey
    Saturday-Meier
    Sunday-Bumstead

relief/closers- Wilson, Determan, Dirks, and Nall.

I did not put Wilson in the starting rotation because I'm not sure he'll be 100% healthy when the season starts, but by midseason he could be dominant out of the bullpen. I think Mestepey should be back to his regular dominating self. I think Meier will be even better next year, IMO he's the next big thing at LSU. And I put Bumstead back to where he dominated all season...Sundays. As for our bullpen, anyone one of those guys is capable of not only starting for another team but they could be their ace. We sure as hell shouldn't run out of pitching next year. Next year is going to be one hell of a year, I haven't even mentioned the offense yet....Any one have a different rotation?

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Absolutely!!!

3. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Looks Great! Pretty impressed with Determann. He will definately be a force next year..

4. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Sounds great. Any other suggestions . .

for building on this year's success?

Improved pitching will help a bunch.

What can a team do to reduce the number of double play balls that they hit into? Is there any way for a team to learn to avoid that?

I am not asking because I want to be a smartass. I'm asking because I hope that somebody who knows more about baseball than I do will explain it to me.

Thanks.

:eek:ldskule:

5. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I guess they could just stop getting on base so much. :D

6. That lineup sounds great, I look forward to seeing how it works out. We will definitely be STACKED with talent. I do hope Mestepey gets back healthy though, that might make all the difference in our success for next year.

7. OhioTigerFan

OhioTigerFan Founding Member

So far in the CBWS the two most impressive teams are Fullerton and Rice......the two teams that have the strongest pitching staffs. College baseball has changed a little since the last Tiger championship team....pounding the ball will win you alot of games, but a strong pitching staff will win you a championship. If the Tiger pitching staff can stay healthy next year, they should be as good as any staff in the country. Anything less than a return trip to Omaha next year would be VERY disappointing.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Re: Sounds great. Any other suggestions . .

Why don't we ask the coach of a team that never hits into double plays? Oh, that's right. THERE AREN'T ANY!!! DPs are part of the game. While we're at it, let's reduce the number of times our batters strike out. And what's with these fly balls that stay in the park and get caught by the other team? And don't get me started on those players that can't even run to first before the ball gets there.

9. To reduce DPs you have to stop hitting ground balls. The only way to do that is to not face pitchers who tend to induce ground ball outs, i.e. don't throw much that winds up low in the strike zone. Ain't going to see that in college unless we ask our opponents to not build their pitching staffs with those kinds of pitchers.....

10. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

After facing Baylor's friday pitcher and then Fullerton in Omaha we need strong pitching from top to bottom. With the new bats, power hitting will win a lot of games, but it is pitching that will get you over the hump and win a championship.