Next year's SOS versus this year's.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DarkHornet, Feb 2, 2004.

1. DoubleCutter

DoubleCutter Founding Member

TE]It's a shame Vandy's in the league!!![/QUOTE]

It pisses me off whenever I here a comment like that. I know Vandy's winning record isn't to great, but they deserve to be in the SEC just as much as any other team. They have been in the SEC for many years, and have some success and winning years in the past. I respect the Vandy football team for going out and palying an SEC schedule and giving it their all against superior talent. Vandy is part of the tradition in the SEC.

2. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

But when you play in the SEC, you get plenty opportunities to play against elite teams: UGA, Tennessee, Florida...

But, you're right, we need at least one ledgit OOC game annually. Texas anyone???

3. TexTiger

TexTiger Founding Member

Give me A&M, I'd love a chance to exact revenge on those collie fuckers

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

It pisses me off whenever I here a comment like that. I know Vandy's winning record isn't to great, but they deserve to be in the SEC just as much as any other team. They have been in the SEC for many years, and have some success and winning years in the past. I respect the Vandy football team for going out and palying an SEC schedule and giving it their all against superior talent. Vandy is part of the tradition in the SEC.
    [/QUOTE] .

I'm sorry I pissed you off but I don't think they should be in the SEC as far as football is concerned. As far as their players, I can respect the fact that they come out to play against superior competion but that doesn't mean they should be splitting the revenues that are generated by the other programs when they don't generate any of their own. They've won 33 SEC games since 1970, thta's 1 per year. They have the 3rd worst winning percentage in D-1 football in the 2000's, they rank 10th from the bottom in winning percentage in the last 5 years and that's counting the ULM's of the world, etc. etc. Sorry if that pissed you off but it's just my opinion. there tradition ended for the most part about 50 years ago if not longer.

5. DoubleCutter

>I'm sorry I pissed you off but I don't think they should be in the SEC as far as football is concerned. As far as their players, I can respect the fact that they come out to play against superior competion but that doesn't mean they should be splitting the revenues that are generated by the other programs when they don't generate any of their own. They've won 33 SEC games since 1970, thta's 1 per year. They have the 3rd worst winning percentage in D-1 football in the 2000's, they rank 10th from the bottom in winning percentage in the last 5 years and that's counting the ULM's of the world, etc. etc. Sorry if that pissed you off but it's just my opinion. there tradition ended for the most part about 50 years ago if not longer.<

They are charter members of the SEC. Enough said. I would like to see them do better, as I would any SEC team, but I feel that they are as just a part of the tradition of the SEC as any other SEC team. You can spit out statistics all you want, but remember that there was a stretch for LSU in the nineties when their win/loss wasn't so great either. Hey, while you're at it, Mississippi State hasn't done too good the last few years either, let's kick them out. Maybe Kentucky too.

6. LSUTigers1404

LSUTigers1404 Founding Member

Vanderbilt is good in basketball. But they are by far the worst SEC football team. The only way I wouldn't mind them leaving the SEC is if Tulane replaced them here. Tulane also was a charter member of the SEC, but it has been awhile since they left. Plus, it would be nice to renew the old LSU/Tulane rivalry.

7. cajdav1

A few years is one thing, a half century is quite another. I would be willing to bet that if you looked at the revenue produced by all of the schools in the SEC over the last 30 years Vandy would be so far down they wouldn't even be in the same comma's. That said I also can understand how you feel but I have by opinion on it too.

Moo U had 75 wins in that same time frame, Kentucky had 66. So both had twice as many wins in the last 33 years. and both actually won or shared championships in that time frame whereas Vandy didn't come close.

8. DoubleCutter

Cajdav1--

I guess I can somewhat see your point, but Vanderbilt is a member of the SEC for as long as they choose to be. No way would all the other SEC teams get together and kick them out, taking into consideration revenue sharing and everything else.

9. cajdav1

I agree with that and I wouldn't want to kick them out, I wish they would just give up FB and form a conference with Duke, Toolame, Notre Dame (just to get them out of our hair), Stanford, Marquette, Depaul, Rutgers, St. Louis and a few others.