Next

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by mctiger, Mar 13, 2015.

1. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

You really don't know what proven pass catcher is supposed to mean? OBJ was a rookie that immediately showed his worth, you can't compare him to players like Toon and Morgan that have been in the league for multiple years. He also has more catches in a single game than either of those have in their entire career. That's not pigeon-holing a player that's just stating the facts. Your comparing apples to oranges there for sure. Colston was the one proven pass catcher I was talking about and yes he is indeed well past his prime. Still solid, but very injury prone because his body has taken such a beating and not nearly the threat he once was. Cooks showed the ability to catch short passes, but wasn't much of a deep threat as his speed would indicate and wasn't much YAC either. Yes players are interchangeable, but they are rarely equal. It's usually an upgrade or a downgrade when a change is made. The Saints WR's were below average last year and I haven't seen anything Id call an upgrade yet. Resigning Morgan means we probably won't. I thought Spiller was a RB, must have missed his position change, I'll read up on it.

Bengal B likes this.
  2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Spiller is a RB and a big part of the reason why he is with the Saints is his pass-catching ability. The fact that you're not aware of that tells me you're not really following the team. Perhaps you're not familiar with the role that players like Sproles and Reggie Bush played with the Saints passing offense either? One cannot intelligently speak on the pass catchers for the Saints and leave out the RBs.

I also never compared Morgan or Toon to OBJ. I never compared anyone directly to OBJ, but I did discuss that Cooks was in the OROY discussion before his injury.

The Saints have done quite well with unproven pass catchers in the past. As long as Brees is there throwing the ball, it's a top 6 offense at it's worst.

3. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I'm very aware of who Spiller,Bush and Sproles are. You greatly overrate your knowledge of the Saints.
    like I said Spiller is a RB, you made the conversation about the WR group. You do know what a WR is right? You're confused about "proven pass catcher" so it's a legitimate question. The Saints WRs had a very hard time creating separation last season. Often Brees had to hold the ball much too long. Better WRs would greatly help Brees and the offense. Yes Spiller will be catching the ball. I'm not sure he'll be much better than Pierre Thomas was. Payton made a huge mistake letting Sproles get away.

4. MLUTiger

So you claim I made my conversation about the WR group, despite the fact that I mentioned runningbacks? Exactly how is it that you draw that conclusion being that I mentioned runningbacks? Seems like that by my mentioning them, I ... included them thereby not limiting the conversation to receivers. If you look again, you'll see that I included TEs in the list.

Well, it's a term you made up so it's subject to how you define it. If you look on NFL rosters there's no position called "proven pass catcher". What's the criteria for "proven"? Who is the arbiter of defining who is and who isn't? You? Fans? Scouts? Coaches? That's the danger of making shit up and trying to make it into this definitive statement as if it means something. That's why I was seeking to clarify your definition of the term.

There is no evidence to support this. In fact, there is quite a bit of evidence that supports the contrary. That was certainly a productive passing ffense for the receivers to not be getting separation, which by the way can be created in a variety of ways outside of physical talent.

Spillrs is probably the only RB in the NFL who runs the screen as well as Thomas and he's faster. He's a hybrid of Thomas and Sproles, if you've ever seen him play.

As for teh Sprols comment, there is no evidence to support that claim either. Looking at his performance in Philly, the Saints cut him loose just in time.

5. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Pardon me for interrupting the pissing contest, but I,for one, am looking forward w/interest as to what the Saints do in the draft to shore up both sides of the ball. I think CJSpiller is a great addition, and will be catching a lot of balls out of the backfield - look for him to take quite a few the distance. My biggest concern w/ BCooks as a wideout is his size, but as a slot receiver, he has the potential to become a MHarrison or MDuper. Our WR core is certainly thin presently, but CSP, w/DB @ QB, does seem to create household names with a bunch of no-namers. The D is where the real work needs to be done.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

spiller and cooks are athletes. cooks needs to prove he can get open then prove he can make the big plays. no one will be as reliable as PT in such limited snaps. spiller will likely be hurt after 3 games anyhow.

you cant count on getting an obj once a decade talent in the draft. the saints need a top shelf receiver or two and im not seeing how that happens. stills was exactly the young lesser paid playmaker they are now in the market for. made no sense.

TwistedTiger and ParadiseiNC like this.
  7. MLUTiger

They took a 5th round draft pick and turned it into a starting ILB and a 3rd round draft pick. How does that not make sense?

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I still can't believe Mark Ingram is on this team.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I'm still in shock that Jimmy Graham is not. The Saints are way overpaying for Ingram at $4 Million. Could have picked up a free agent for $2 who would give them the same production.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Or less