NFL Combine

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by UPTTiger, Mar 1, 2010.

1. UPTTiger

UPTTiger Founding Member

I know this has been discussed before, but 40 times that people claim are greatly inflated. The laser-timed actuals show that a 4.4 is an elite time for an NFL prospect. It seems that every kid in the Rivals 100 claims to run a 4.3-4.4.

Some other random combine thoughts:

LaFell ran one of the slower 40 times (4.6) for the WRs, but looked very smooth running routes. He should have practiced 40yd form with Trindon.

Golden Tate is very fast yet couldnt catch a thing.

Sneed is a moron for coming out early and working out at the combine. If you know you are not as good as some people think you are, go with it. Get drafted and paid based on speculation. Don't go to the combine to have a group of no-name QBs make you look bad. 5.0+ 40yd, come on!

The OL named Campbell from Maryland made himself a bunch of money. 6'6", lean 317lbs, 4.8 40yd. He made the other guys look like a bunch of fat slobs.

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again: too much emphasis is placed on the Combine. Every year, someone blows a high draft pick on a guy who produced little on the field in the fall, but posted great numbers in March in Indianapolis. A football player's performance on an actual football field against other real football players is a more valuable measuring stick than his performance against a stopwatch or a rack of weights.

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

40 times are definitely a gray area across all levels.

As for the LSU guys and their times, look for them to be better at the LSU Pro Day like last year given our indoor turf usually gives them an edge.

Plus it gives Lafell more time to heal from his knee injury.

4. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Scouts don't use the combine alone to judge a player's ability. It plays an extremely important part of the process.

5. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

What I was concerned with more than the 40 times was the strength portion. LSU players, overall, didn't do well at all or maybe I missed something. I just didn't see any of them listed in the top portion. I wonder if this could be an indication that our strength and conditioning needs some work. I know that it was mentioned a couple of times during the season that we looked beat by the 4th quarter, which is also when we lost most of our games. Just sayin.

6. UPTTiger

UPTTiger Founding Member

I think the Combine has value. It's the only place that these players are together performing the same tasks in the same conditions. Mayock said it best, the combine should either confirm what a team thought or require a team to review more film, not catapult a guy several rounds.

I didnt watch that much of the combine last night, but Riley posted a 4.6 and Coleman had a 4.5 which was towards the top of the LBs.

7. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

Very True....need to get stronger

8. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

we have one of the better s&c programs in the country. some people will never be combine warriors but the goal is to have the players work out at an efficient level. you can pretty much go down our current commit list and accurately guess how all of them will do at the combine. it has a lot more to do with the individual body - not lsu.

9. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I realize that we have one of the best s & c programs in the country, not questioning that, but are our players being pushed enough to build up the stamina. This is what I am asking. None of our players at the combine are listed towards the top for reps or any of the strength challenges from what I have read. This could be an indication of a problem. One that showed itself on the field for us over the past 2 seasons. Most of our games this season, and some last were lost in the 4th qtr. Not sayin it is a problem, more am questioning what others think.

10. UPTTiger

UPTTiger Founding Member

Haden, Mays remind us again to beware the cult of the fake 40 time - Dr. Saturday - NCAAF Blog - Yahoo! Sports

"The only players this year who ran an official time below 4.4 -- Holliday, Cal's Jahvid Best and Clemson teammates Jacoby Ford and C.J. Spiller -- were all first-rate NCAA sprinters; Holliday and Ford (who put up the fastest official time at 4.28) are borderline Olympians. If a sub-4.4 time is attached to anyone else -- such as, say, a 235-pound quarterback -- there's no reason to believe it."