NFL Combine

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by UPTTiger, Mar 1, 2010.

1. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Agreed. Then why not do that? You're using a small sample and comparing them to the world's elite.

It still doesnt change the fact that not everyone is going to throw up numbers. Everyone knows guys like Rolando McClain will be in the bottom half because of body frame and arm length. On the other hand a short guy like Micah Johnson is always going to have great numbers. It didnt matter what school he went to. Guess we'll disagree. :tigerhead

2. DRC

DRC TigerNator

How is using every player we had that lifted compared to the other players that lifted a small sample? Its the most complete comparison you can get. If our S&C program is elite then we should be measured against the "worlds elite", ie: other college teams players. Bottom line, we are consistently in the bottom 50%, and more often then not in the bottom 25%, of all the bench press numbers. Thats not a good statistic no matter how you define it.

3. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Which seems to have transpired into our OL and DL not getting any push. A point that has been made by several on this board many times. If we really have "elite" facilities, which we do, then why isn't it showing on the field and in our players combine numbers? Is there a problem that many of us have ignored because we know we have "elite" facilities and we believe that our S & C program performs at an "elite" level? An answer I don't have, but I think it is worth being discussed.

4. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

This is a thorough examination of our strength program and the results are very bad. I had no idea. I'm very surprised by this. Two guys in the top 50% in five of the last 6 years. That's awful.

5. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Because there are 130 players on a football team. You cited around 2% -- and compared them to the world's best.

6. LEGACY TIGER

This is Our sample size to compare against the others. These are Our best players being invited to the combine, who would you have us sample.

7. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

These are not our best players. These are mostly seniors. And you use a full size to show walk-ons and other players that will never show up in Indy.

I agreed with DRC. He said:

Obviously you have to look at all of the players if you are going to make a comment about S&C. Bench and verticals are terrible ways to blindly judge a S&C program because we have no idea what their potential is.

8. LEGACY TIGER

I agree in that you can't make a generalization, but our OL and DL play over the past few years would indicate there might be some merit to these findings and how they may relate to the overall performance of our S & C program.

And seniors that were starters and have been thru the program for 4-5 yrs isn't a positive light to shine on the S & C program.

9. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Its more that they just sucked.

Ok, I'll drop the numbers talk . . . here is something to make you feel better. We have tons of schools that come to our coaching clinics and use our techniques - basically steal the day-to-day binder since we have the premier coach in the country. And most schools really all do similar things. So if we suck, then they will to. :grin:

10. LEGACY TIGER

Thats all fine and dandy, but if our players are not being pushed enough to untilize the facilities to their fullest potential than non of that makes a squat of difference.