NFL Draft 2017

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, Apr 20, 2017.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

So this midweek prime time draft ruins the entire experience for me. I loved getting excited for rd 1 every yr that Saturday rolled around. Now it'd like opening xmas presents on Halloween.

Akso Reuben Foster just got flagged with a diluted test.

lsu-i-like and Brian like this.
  2. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

That's annoying. Why change?

3. Brian

Brian Founding Member

NFL makes bank on prime time coverage despite it ruining weekend cookouts and day-long festivities of the very hardcore draftnik fans who make it a ratings boon in the first place.

$$$ over consumer joy always.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I would rather they did the first 3 rounds on Saturday and then rounds 4-7 on Sunday. I'm usually not watching much past the 3rd round anyway because by then I have never heard of most of those guys.

Plus that would be one less day I have to listen to Mel Kiper Jr.

Richdog, Winston1 and Brian like this.
  5. Brian

Brian Founding Member

That is exactly the old format before primetime ruined a weekend tradition.

A first day pick once meant you were in the first 3 rounds selected. Even the vernacular changed.

6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I'm not going to watch the draft but I do understand this sentiment. However, I have to add this.

On ESPN radio, Saturday's and Sunday's, I've found the show Kiper does with Dari a pretty entertaining listen.

7. tirk

Love that show. Love Mel and Dari.

8. tirk

So I bet the Saints grab the Bama boy problem child rueben foster.

Richdog and lsu-i-like like this.
  9. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

apparently watching the draft is a big deal to a lot of folks? I have never watched it or seen or heard of anyone else watching it either but that might be bc this area just is not a big NFL area. Most folks around here are casual saints fans due to proximity with a bunch of falcons, cowboys, and Green Bay(Farve) fans and somehow a pile of 49ers fans(i assume that stems from the Montana/Rice days esp with rice being from MS?) but not really any die hard NFL fans....most just college in this area so i guess the draft just isnt a big topic. Really the Saints fans here are on average the most casual.....I think the fans of other teams here are a little more committed maybe bc several of them moved here from a more NFL area.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The consensus of mock drafts seem to believe the Saints will pick DE Solomon Thomas of Stanford at #11. Foster may be already gone but he may also fall like a rock if there are just too many flags on his character. Foster has a bigger upside than Thomas but also a bigger downside. Only one having Foster at #11 is Mel Kiper.

Most so called experts have Leonard Fournette going to the Jaguars at #4 but I would be surprised to see Carolina try to trade up to get him.