NFL scouts are salivating over Mettenberger

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Sep 7, 2013.

1. WestCoastTiger

WestCoastTiger Founding Member

Mett just fell to a 2-3 rounder tonight.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

That's ridiculous. Any sensible scout would be saying yeah maybe he's regressed a little but will love the way he throws 3 picks and still finds a way to drive his team down with his arm and tie the game late in the 4th. Still tons of upside. Look at how far he came in a short time, imagine him with 3 or more years under a guy like Cameron.

gynojunkie and LSUDad like this.
  3. west_tex_tiger

west_tex_tiger Founding Member

I will take the middle position, which is that he didn't necessarily fall several rounds, but clearly he didn't help himself either. Putting 3 interceptions in a half on film for scouts is not good. If I were watching his film, I would love the arm, but would be concerned about his poor decision making tonight...

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Mettenberger showed what the scouts knew already . . . he has room to improve. That is not a bad thing.

LSUDad and Herb like this.
  5. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

Metts biggest concern is his lack of mobility. I think he's a 2nd round at best because of it.

6. WestCoastTiger

WestCoastTiger Founding Member

Probably not ridiculous. I thought he could be a late first rounder but the last two games he has missed plenty of receivers and made bad choices. If he has bad games against Bama and A&M he probably is a late 2nd / early 3rd rounder. Conversely, play well in those games and he can move back into a late 1st rounder. The draft is weird. Some team might get starry-eyed because of his arm and draft him higher than he should be.

diamondheadtiger and LSUDad like this.
  7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

That's my bad, I thought you said he drops 2 to 3 rounds because of last nights performance. I read it wrong, mary jane aided. You may be right, he may be a 2nd rounder, but that's a lot better than what people had him at when the season ended last year.

LSUDad likes this.
  8. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

This is a bit harsh, no?

Is Mett a Tiger? Did he change his name of Jefferson?

Why must we cannibalize our own?

LSUDad likes this.
  9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

He looks like a late first early 2nd rounder. This game has zero impact on a scouts view of his potential. The rest means jack.

Mobility not a factor. His awareness or lack of, is.

geneinga likes this.
  10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I actually think the main concern for scouts and ultimately NFL teams will be what is going on between the ears for Mettenberger. Pocket awareness is still a bit of an issue, but not as bad as last year.

As poorly as he played for 2 1/2 quarters, he threw for 173 yards in the last quarter and a half and generated 24 points. So in actuality scouts could be looking at this game and seeing that Mettenberger can put the bad stuff behind him and get it going.

The Alabama game may decide if he is a 1st round pick or not.

tirk and LSUDad like this.