Nick Saban stiffs "W" for dinner

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Jeffinbama, Jul 31, 2006.

1. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

"A Dolphins spokesman said Saban opted against accepting the invitation in part because the dinner conflicted with a visit by an undisclosed out-of-town guest who addressed his team."

Saban has already met him once when LSU won the NC. Maybe W should have asked to come talk to the team if he really wanted to talk with Saban.

2. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Nah, I think he did what was best for him. Only Nick knows his work schedule.

3. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I had heard once before (and again on PTI today) that Joe Gibbs used to have his wife tape dinner conversations so Joe could listen to them later while he was at TC. Joe Gibbs is one of the best NFL Head Coaches in NFL history and that type of dedication and focus is why. No surprise to any LSU fan that Saban made that choice as we have seen first hand his focus and drive as the LSU Head Coach.

This is when you build the foundation for your team's season. The coach's do a lot of work after practive while the players rest. What right does he have to put forth less effort than what he demands of his players? No one can argue with his choice. No one can complain that he doesn't pull his share of the workload. No one can accuse Saban of double standards. Routines are everything in the NFL and Saban wasn't about to break his for dinner with a President.

GWBush is an arrogant prick for even asking him. Dude, you don't interrupt football for any reason short of someone being on their deathbed. I thought people from Texas knew that?

4. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

At first I thought I would have done the same thing as Nick. Then I started thinking about it. I could get a lot of sh*t off my chest over dinner. SO I guess I would have went.

5. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

100% Classic Nick Saban. Gotta love it.

6. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Haha. Awesome.

7. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

I think Saban does things like this to set a precedent for his team...Knowing Saban, he probably was still working at 8:00 at night, but my guess is that he probably could have made time, but didn't to set a dedication precendent for his team...I've heard other stories of him doing stuff like this to fire up his team...

Lord knows every single Dolphin player is talking about this and saying, "wow."

8. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

I am sorry, but he could have spared a few hours for the President of the United States. I feel that was showing disrespect to the office. I understrand his feelings, but a few hours away from the practice field would not have degraded practice or made any difference in the preparedness one bit. When you get a presidential invite, you accept.

9. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Yea, right. I am sure two hours away from the practice field on day would certainly have cost them the Super Bowl.

10. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

It wasn't about 2 hours away from the field. It was about commitment now that camp has started. It's about setting an example of what excuses will be tolerated for not committing 100%. Pretty much none. What was he suppose to do? Blow off the guy he probably had scheduled to speak to the team. So basically he committed to the team and the guy speaking to the team.

What the hell does George Bush need to visit Nick Saban for anyway. Don't they have enough crap going on in the world to keep him busy? Obviously Saban didn't see any value in the useless, not going to solve anything, photo opp.

Like I said Classic Saban.