Nick Saban stiffs "W" for dinner

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Jeffinbama, Jul 31, 2006.

1. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

He said on the Miami Herald website it was not making any political statement. He said he has a childhood friend who is now the Gov. of West Virginia and he has no idea what politicial party the guy is from.

Saban said he had film study set for that night. Tried to reschedule the dinner for the following day but he had a speaker coming and the guy could not reschedule.

2. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

This is America, he can sit down or not sit down to dinner with whoever he wants. Personally, there are only a few people in this world that I would stop everything and meet with regardless of my schedule. Unless I could get a tour of the White House or ride on Air Force One, the President is not one of them. (Warren Buffett is).

3. Broke

Broke Founding Member

I don't care if you love or hate the President of the US, but you must respect the office! I would have met with Clinton even though I considered him an adulterous baffoon.

4. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Have to disagree with you here. Unless you make his schedule and know his mindset, you really have no basis for those statements.

I can sorta relate to Nick here. When I get focused on achieving a goal, I try not to partake in things that can potentially derail my focus. Sometimes it's all a mental thing. Nick knows what he's doing.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

A personal invitation to the White House, maybe. That would be an invitation by the President. But a political dinner in his brother's state is something else entirely. That was an invitation by a politician.

6. LSU_Fan_In_OK

LSU_Fan_In_OK Founding Member

thats awesome....Geaux Coach Saban

7. Kjunsausage

Kjunsausage Founding Member

maybe bush pissed in his cheerios by inviting sc to the white house to split his nc.

8. G-LSU

G-LSU Founding Member

It is all about setting Pesidence! Not President. Saban leads by example. If I was a player, that act would send the message to me that being at camp is most important. Saban was almost in a no win situation. If he would have gone, a player could have tried to use that as an excuse for them to skip out of a practice..... "Well Coach Saban, YOU missed practice to go out to dinner last Sunday....:" Remember, we are dealing with athletes and some are not the brightest.
    :lsup: :geauxtige :lsup:

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

You meant to say Precedence, but the correct word would be priorities.

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

I agree with Red on this one. It was all about the photo-op and Saban didn't take the bait.

Attending a political event implies an indorsement which may, or may not, be there. Not attending is how to stay neutral on the subject.