Nick Saban stiffs "W" for dinner

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Jeffinbama, Jul 31, 2006.

1. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Unless that game is what puts food on the table. And so what if it's the President? Just another self-involved politician. SFW

2. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Which is more than we can say for some around here.:dis:

3. Broke

Broke Founding Member

I just think that we have gotten away from respecting positions of authority in the US. That's why coaches and referees get beat up at games. It's why old people get robbed and parents hit by their children. When we disrespect the authority figures in our world, as much as we might not like them, I think we are headed down a dead end path. I saw a report on yahoo finance that my profession (financial planner) ranked second to last behind real estate agents for most least respected occupations. I think we were even beat out by car salespeople. Where did I go wrong???:dis:

4. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

My friend... You just compared someone not caring about eating supper with an elected official to Assault and robbery.

And about your poll......... if it were taken 5 years ago you guys would have been on top. But when the market went in the sh===-r and people lost tons of money with no answers you all became ordinary.

5. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

That's BS. It was no slight to the office of the president of the US. Saban is dedicated to making his team the best it can be. He can look any of his players in the eyes knowing that he put his soul into making the Dolphins the best they can be. I suppose socializing can be described as part of the president's job, but I think the world would be better off if we had a president with the work ethic of Saban. Also, if we had a president who could keep that smug little grin off of his face when making an important, serious speech. Same with Rumsfield's smug, condescending grin. Damn that infuriates me.

6. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Now what makes me think there's more to your feelings than the current "grin-style" competition?:hihi:

7. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

This decision by Saban made me respect him that much more. Sure, the opportunity to dine with the leader of the free world could be one of those once-in-a-lifetime deals. But this shows that Saban has his priorities and he doesn't want anything to get in the way of him making a winning football team. Not to mention he's leading by example. By showing that he was willing to miss out on dinner with the President, none of his players have any excuse for missing out on a practice, conditioning, treatment, etc. for an interview or photo-op.

I don't think it was disrespectful at all. He was very professional about it when the media asked him why he declined. There is nothing in the Constitution that says you must accept a dinner invitation from the President.

8. LSU4Life

LSU4Life Founding Member

They wait so long to finally get into Training Camp - they have to squeeze more things in than the have time for. The HC's job isn't over when the practice whistle blows ending practice. They go a mile a minute all the way up until and through the season at this point. It's 18-20 hour work days for the coaching staff, especially the HC.

9. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

If that was a reference to me.. I was merely pointing out an observation of mine (though it was somewhat off topic, so apologies there)...Not an attempt to push any buttons. Put the guns down, trigger... we're on the same team here... :crystal: :geauxtige

Now, as for Saban and the Presidential dinner... I think given the opportunity I would have had to attend. Doesn't matter which president to me, as that's an honor that few people get to experience in life. That being said, Saban has done it before so maybe it's not that big of a deal to him... and it doesn't suprise me to see him pass the opportunity, that's the kind of down to business coach he is... Some love it, some hate it.

10. Broke

Broke Founding Member

I guess this just boils down to "to each their own". What I would have done is clearly not what some of you would have done. Each is right in their own way!