Nick Saban stiffs "W" for dinner

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Jeffinbama, Jul 31, 2006.

1. jrich71291

jrich71291 Say What?

Another new article on the subject.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/9582317

This guy basically calls Saban a Prima Donna for declining the invitation. Maybe he is, maybe not. What I don't hear from many of these columnist is the fact that Nick is a taskmaster and a workaholic. Also, with the amount of pressure on NFL coaches these days to succeed and do it now you can't blame the guy for not dropping everything he is doing to grab a bite to eat...that is what retired players and coaches have time for.

2. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Actually, my comment was directed at noone in particular. Just a general observation around here that some refuse to let the 2003 controversy go.

3. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

You could look at it like that or you could look at as teaching us all a good lesson, priorities first.

4. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

I like Saban, always have... just don't have him on the same pedestal as some. I'm pretty sure there are a few coaches out there that can go 8-4, 10-3, 8-5, 13-1, and 9-3 ... and still make it to the dinner!:thumb:

5. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I think you have to be an LSU fan to appreciate the change Saban instilled in the program after years of turmoil. It had been a LOOOONG time since the program had truly realized its potential - the records he compiled here are irrelevant. He changed the mentality.

6. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

The lovefest of the phenomenon that WAS Saban is getting a little old on this thread. Our Hawkeye fan shed some much needed outside perspective on the subject.

And in my opinion, a job is a job. There are some opportunities, though, and dining with ANY President of the US is one, that are worth re-arranging your schedule.

7. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Like someone mentioned, to each his own. Meeting the President obviously isn't as big a deal to him as to some. I can respect that.

8. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

The position of president is also "a job."

He is no better than a football coach or a garbage man. In fact I am pretty sure Saban's approval rating at his job is much higher than that of the president. So why should anyone be obligated to go eat dinner with the guy.

I do not see the big deal here. He had a prior commitment being that it was the first week of training camp. They fine players for not being there. What kind of message does it send if the coach misses or changes things around to fit an insignificant event.

9. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

You're right that Saban is LSU history, and his record speaks for itself. In the great scheme of college football history, he is little more than above average. Get off the man, people. Same goes with former players. Try to remember that they are no longer LSU student athletes, and in the great scheme of college football, usually are little more than a blip. We need to get some perspective. Remeber, this "decent" coach stiffed each of us when he declined the dinner invitation with Bush. And what is this board here to do, if not question the personal decisions of any man it can. Taking our lead from the media. Oh yeah.

10. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Let me clarify my thoughts. I don't really care if Saban went to the dinner or not. My words were directed at those who attempted to correlate his choice to his ability to set priorities, then inflating those "priorities" into some supposed greatness.

Let's take Kirk Ferentz, as an example... also a very good coach. His priorities have also been endless hours of coaching, combined with an inordinated amount of community service time... and also a commitment (so far, so good) to have all his kids go through high school at the same school.

Now I seriously doubt if he had decided to attend a presidential dinner OR NOT, it would have had little bearing on his "priorities".
    My guess is Saban would have REAL problems if his players decided to slack off because he was at a dinner... that whole concept is just ludicrous to me.