Nick Saban stiffs "W" for dinner

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Jeffinbama, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

A bit sensitive, are we? Yes, you think it's insulting when you refer to someone as a democrat. That's no secret. And frankly, I find it almost as amusing as the fact that you think that I myself am one. But I try my best not to hold people's own ignorance against them.

At any rate, going by your stated criteria, I'd have to assume that you were a democrat, as well. Hopefully, you realize how ridiculous it sounds now.

2. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

:hihi: Skipped the roundtable and went straight to free speech.

The way I see it CC, if you're not a Republican, then you might as well be a dem. It's a two party system now, whether red likes it or not. The independent vote is a waste of time.

3. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Kudos guys on keeping this thread alive. I figured it was good for maybe two pages of comments, but my estimate was pretty far off.

I wouldn't pass up a chance to meet the President, but that's mainly because it would make a good story. I struggle to come up with a topic that I would be interested in talking to him about, other than maybe drinking beer and what it was like to run the Rangers into the ground.

4. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

I will stick by my previous posts. Saban should have accepted the invitation. To do so would not in any way given the message that he is not committed to the Dolphin football program and certainly would not have encouraged players to miss practice. I am sure the players and coaches would have understood. You accept an invitation from a president (any president) because it the respectiful thing to do. You are showing respect for the office - not the man. And make no mistake about it, regardless of where the dinner was located - whether it was in the White House or Florida or wherever - it was a presidential invitation. Just my thoughts.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Being asked to the White House is an honor. Being asked to a political dinner is a photo-op. I think Salty is right. Saban doesn't want to be perceived as a Bush supporter.

Just my thoughts.

6. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

I don't think Saban is political enough to care who he is photographed with.

I said it once and I'll say it again, I think he did it to set a precedent of dedication for his staff/players..

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

He's business savy enough. Anyone with a lick of sense knows that photo ops are used to imply political support, whether there or not. That photo and implied support could piss off a lot of people that "buy" the product. Just as a lot of business owners I know privately support certain candidates, they in no way advertise it or endorse the candidate so they won't offend a segment of customers or clients.

I fully agree with Red. It doesn't matter if he does or doesn't support Bush. It is how it is perceived that matters.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Other amusing assumptions:

O.J. not guilty.

Michael Jackson did not molest children.

Rodney King was minding his own business.

9. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

:shock: I may make this my new sig.

On second thought CC, maybe I'm completely wrong about this. :hihi:

10. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Of course. Everything is black and white with you. But there are many of us that do not need or conform to labels. They're a stupid crutch that far too often pre-determines a set of other beliefs that I don't subscribe to.

I've voted D once in my life (Holden). And that was largely because it benefitted the industry I was working in (traffic). Not exactly a posterchild.
    Wrong. It's been a one-party system for some time now.
    Bullcrap. Voting for some pandering jerk-off that doesn't represent my views is a waste of time, as is perpetuating a inadequate political structure.
    I agree. But that doesn't necessarily mean that he's a democrat.