Nick Saban to open a Mercedes-Benz dealership in Birmingham

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Cajun Sensation, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Look, I am telling you what I was told by someone who is helping to facilitate the project. You can try to dispute the numbers all you want. That is sort of irrelevant.

Go read my initial post again to see what my point of the thread is.

Also, things are very very slow around here right now. It is part of my duty to keep discussions going and to help things move along. I'm pretty good at it. So if you do not like the thread, start a new one or move on to the next one. Very very simple.

2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

The only question I have is the dollar figure. But, there are things I don't know like if it's a new build, if they are buying the land outright, etc.

The point of him being a partner isn't something that the masses know anything about. It's close to fruition so it's not a "secret" anymore...not that they didn't want to keep it under hat until it breaks ground, mind you.

My "so what" had to do with how it is a big deal for him to do so.

Just for decency...I hope it ends up better than the spec house on the lake.

3. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Read this post knowing that I'm not trying to be an asshole, just stating my opinion.

First, assuming everything you say is true, no i don't think it would be enough to keep him in Alabama. It's easy to be a minority owner from afar. I don't think he'll leave but it has nothing to do with the dealership. I just think he's going to finish his career at Bama. However, it was weird seeing him on gameday this weekend. Almost like he was auditioning. Just because of that, I'm going to go out on a limb and say he won't be the coach at Bama past the 2015 season. Either the Texas thing as unlikely as that is or flat out retirement will do him in.

Secondly, there's no way he's putting $20 million into a car dealership as a minority owner. It just doesn't make any sense. The only way it's possible is if he's financing the floor plan which I wouldn't call investing in a dealership.

4. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Not disputing. Just questioning. I understood you to state he was dropping 20 mill on the project. That I have doubts about. Perhaps the investment group is combining efforts to reach a 20MM figure as start up capital?

I feel pretty damn sure it doesn't cost one partner 20MM to get into a launch like this...the numbers don't fit based on my experience.

I very well could be wrong...not a question I'm going to ask one of the principles.

5. Cajun Sensation

Ok @TerryP , so the fact that he is opening a Mercedes-Benz dealership is something that you've heard before, correct? Where did you hear it from?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

And even with that, considering floor plans are a month to month deal (most at least...depends on the terms with the bank) with the bank, that would be one HELL of a LARGE inventory to need that amount.

Still...with the four main components on a floor plan I can't see any of those reaching that number...unless they are including advertising cost for the next fiscal year? Still, numbers don't match up...

It's none of my business but I'd love to see the details on the LOC.

7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Yes. I heard about it right before fall camp in 2010. Unless something falls through at the last hour it's as good as a done deal from what I'm told...it's just not something that's made the "message board circuit."

I mentioned where I heard it earlier...don't feel comfortable mentioning his name (though some here should know it...he's been handling the leases with the Saban family on cars for a long time now.)

8. Cajun Sensation

OK, so you and I both know a well-kept secret that isn't even message board fodder yet (until now). The only thing that you are disputing is the $20 million number.....when, in fact, it could be 2 dealerships.

We both have very credible sources (apparently).....I'm just telling you the number that was tossed out to me by my credible source. That's it.

Now, that that's out of the way.....my question remains to you and the rest....do you think that this is enough to keep Saban in Alabama or would he give this project ZERO consideration in his decision?

9. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Not disputing...questioning because it doesn't fit industry norms.

He's told Sexton to tell Hicks in January he's not interested in TX. This TX stuff is almost a year old now...I understand why it keeps coming up, it draws traffic/clicks.

Ain't happening...

What does TX offer right now that he doesn't get where he is? I'm curious as to why people think it's tempting...

10. Cajun Sensation

Honestly, I've lived in Austin and I've been to Tuscaloosa many times. It's not even close.

That being said, I think he has his hooks sunk in to Tuscaloosa and I don't think that he's going anywhere. I also think that a large investment like this one could be one of many factors as to why he'd stay.

LaSalleAve and mobius481 like this.