Nightmare for the Selection Committee

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSU Engineer, Dec 6, 2014.

1. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

And probably it's a damn good thing we can't do anything about it.

shane0911 likes this.
  2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I'm not sure. I can't help but wonder how this tier idea of his benefits the B1G. Delany always has a motive. Here's the article I ran across this morning on my news feed talking about his idea.

I'm guessing here...maybe three tiers of eight teams each? Here's out top eight in, first eight out, and the remainder?

One thing I appreciated about the rankings this season was the ability to get an idea which of the SEC teams were in the running for appearances in the Orange, Chick-fil-A, and the other New Years Day games. To a lesser degree which team in the "Other Five" was playing that day as well.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

In the end, the '05 LSU team was matched up against a still-elite (in the minds of America) Miami team that was also ranked in the top 10. We had the opportunity to spank the Canes in a bowl game, and their program dropped (permanently, to this point) out of national prominance.

It wasn't the worst thing in the world.

Rouxleaux likes this.
  4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Lol, well that told us a whole lot of nothing, unless my browser didn't dl the entire piece. Basically said he wants to "rank them in tiers"

Guess we wait and see.

TerryP likes this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I'm still not sure what that means

TerryP likes this.
  6. Rouxleaux

Rouxleaux Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?

The committee was very transparent about them putting tcu at 3 and then a week later after they won their game dropping them out of the top 4.

7. Rouxleaux

Almost as nice as what when we destroyed notre lame in the sugar bowl. To bad the didn't fade into the bowels of the football ranking would.

8. Rouxleaux

Me thinks terry likes the one game champ, or less playoff game situation because his beloved gumps only have to get to the big game and win that one game. Don't worry about proving it on the field through the gauntlet.

Bengal B likes this.
  9. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

There's the crux of the matter; some might say problem... :D

You couldn't be more wrong. Since we've seen the PAC move to the CCG along with a nine-game conference schedule I've been in favor of the SEC moving to that model as well. Yet, I've seen more than one fan base in the SEC say that gauntlet is too difficult. Who is worrying about what, now?

I liked the old bowl system and the controversy that went with having it set up that way. I was skeptical of the BCS when it was implemented but a lot of that skepticism was born from it being Roy Kramer's brain-child. In the end, I think the BCS system was very successful.

One thing I appreciate is financial solvency for college programs. One thing I've liked about the playoff scenario is the increased revenue the SEC will receive this season. (Around a 52 million payout in 2013, estimated at 87 million for 2014.)

That said...and mentioned in this thread earlier, what the "side-effects" are from the playoff as it is now or what it might be if we move to more teams...it's changing the collegiate football world in so many ways I fear it'll be a sport we don't recognize sooner than later.

10. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

While their timing/process was confusing, their reasoning was sound and, in my opinion, pretty well explained.

What I find interesting about how that story ended is it ended exactly like a lot of us hypothesized. Does the Big12 need a conference championship game like the other four members of the Power Five? Yes. Would the fact they didn't have one hurt? Yes. Was it a level playing field with Big12 members getting an extra week off in the season? No. Did that hurt them? Yes.

I do agree with those that think their process needs to be tweaked a little. I also think they got it right in the end. I'm more inclined to calling some of the "issues," first year hiccups.

ParadiseiNC likes this.