NIT a blessing ???

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerTyler, Mar 14, 2004.

1. TigerTyler

TigerTyler Freshman

as much as i would love to see our mens b-ball team have have a shot a winning it all, i think the possibility of playing in the NIT would benefit our team longterm.

if we make the NCAA tourney, i think winning one game would be good, two games great, and any more a miracle (possible, but i'm think in realist mode). However, if we play in the NIT we will have the opportunity to play more games, building much needed experience and chemisty.

this can give momentum going into next year, aswell as the opportunity of having a legitimate shot at winning a lesser prestigious tournament.

:lsup:

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I agree with you but a lot of "fans" here wouldn't like it because their life would then have no meaning. (Note to Sourdough: Check the spelling of their. There are exceptions to the "i before e except after c" rule.)

3. Jwho77

Jwho77 Founding Member

The NIT could be a blessing, but it will not be if we have to play a road game right off the bat against another bubble team. Winning on the road at OU, Colorado, Missouri, Notre Dame, etc., would be no easier than an NCAA first round game on a neutral site.

4. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Note to SabanFan,
    If all you can do is go after me for grammar you've already lost your argument :D :lsup:
    BTW, I'd love nothing better for this team to win the NIT but I don't think it
    will happen.

5. SabanFan

Neither do I but I want these guys to get as much experience as possible. If the NCAA doesn't happen, I'll gladly take an NIT bid for that reason. I doubt we'd get a home game though.

6. alaman

alaman Founding Member

The NIT is for losers. If a team is not one of the top 64, it does not deserve to do anything but stay home.

7. SabanFan

Another example of alaman's unabashed support for LSU.

8. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Just because a team made the NCAA tournament doesn't mean that they are in the top 64. There are 31 automatic berths that go to teams that LSU would likely beat if they played.

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Nobody really pays attention to the NIT. I think they should get rid of it altogether.

Having said that, maybe LSU can get some benefit from playing teams on their level (a Lloreda-less LSU team that is). Give these freshman something to build on should they win the NIT. Not likely to happen, but we shall see.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

here is my view

this team hung its hopes on the NCAA Trny...now they still had a slim hope today and that was shot to hell as we figured. Therefore, playing a lesser trny this team wont care less about going and to win any game you have to be motivated or you lose. Same as bowl games...the lesser teams who barely get their play their asses off...while the teams that want a BCS bowl then fail to make it usually perform a lot worse. Just how i see it. the NIT is worthless....get rid of it. No, going to NIT was not a blessing imo, you go to the dance or dont go anywhere.