NL MVP

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Sep 29, 2006.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Well all the talk is about Albert Pujols and Ryan Howard. And certainly they are in serious contention for the award. But there is definitely a third person who has to be considered just as seriously. His name is Lance Berkman.

Stat Breakdown

Howard........ .314, 102 R, 58 HR, 146 RBI
    Pujols.......... .329, 116 R, 47 HR, 133 RBI
    Berkman....... .315, 94 R, 44, HR, 133 RBI

I think whomever wins the Central Division gets the MVP. Berkman has had nobody hitting behind him all year to give him protection (up until just the past month with rookie Luke Scott). Howard has not come up big whatsoever in the last 10 days of the season when the Phillies have needed him most. The think the fact that he was going to be only the 3rd player in MLB to hit 60 home runs and have a chance at the all time home run record of 61 (well those that were not chemically altered, I mean) got to him just a tad.

The only possible contender would be Jose Reyes, although his chances are remote.

2. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Howard hasnt had the luxury of having a loaded offense around him either. I know Abreu was their for a while, but Howard not being clutch in 10 days shouldnt exclude him. The Phils would be in worse shape than the Cards or Astros if they lost Howard; as compared to Pujols and Berkman going down.

Sucks all three had great seasons this year b/c all those players have MVP numbers. Berkman def. wins the quietest best season award.

3. islstl

Well u just said the Phils would NOT be worse shape than the Astros/Cards. Thus, you have just stated Berkman and PUkols are more valuable to their respective clubs. Unless you just said it wrong.

And I beg to differ, but the people on base in front of both Pujols and Howard have been much better at getting on base than what Berkman has had to work with. I think the Astros leadoff has an OBP of right at .300, thats deplorable and unacceptable.

And Rolen has protected Pujols quite nicely, and Burrell has done similiarly for Howard for a good part of the year.

Berkman should be having a crappy year based on what the people around him in the order have done. But he has come up big time and time again.

4. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Yep, not much of a proofreader. :wink:

5. islstl

Yeah I figured you meant it the other way around, since it was contradicting the statement just prior.

Anyhoo, I kindly disagree.

6. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Pujols has been such a clutch hitter all year. Howard has had an unbelievable offensive year, and singlehandedly kept the Phillies in it.

Their performances have definitely been good enough for #2 and #3 in the MVP voting.

7. islstl

Pujols just sewed it up I believe....another huge 3 run homer to put the game out of reach today

Berkman could not do his magic today when the Astros needed it most (on a day when Clemens was pitching)....had he hit a couple of homers today to single-handedly beat the Braves, then he would be neck and neck with Pujols