No baseball talk

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by msully, Jun 26, 2014.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I don't remember mentioning all that. I said I thought Skip made good pitching changes.

Ah, so you were listening. I'm glad you agree.

I tend to agree on the Super Regional format. I'm not a Maineri critic here, I think he's a good coach. But I have an opinion on his pitching choices.

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Just noting that he did make a few mistakes when choosing his relief pitchers, some of those high scores came after the starters had held the opposing team to a couple of runs for several innings.

3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I was hoping Robicheaux and the Cajuns would win it. I'd love to see how great LSU would be with him as our coach.

4. lsufan52

lsufan52 Lsu baseball fan from old box to new

well first off he goes from small ball to hitting away,He pulls pitchers way too early and gives away way too many games,loses confidence in players throws too many under the bus so to speak,and he has under achieved the use of his players strong points.,and never was a high profile coach and has a cush job and is starting to get lazy.

5. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member

Why do you think Robichaux would be that much better than Maineri?

6. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member

I agree he's made some questionable pitching changes, and lost some games this year because of it. But at the same time, players have to perform. McCune pitched well in the SEC tourney, so you'd think he would be able to do the same in the regional. Instead, he laid an egg.

It's fair to question CPM's decisions, every fan base of any sport does that, especially when we have the benefit of hindsight. But I would submit being the head baseball coach at LSU, with this fan base and expectations, is anything but cush. The pressure on him is enormous, and that alone prevents him from being lazy. A lot of fans can point at their team and say they underachieved this year, hell Mike Martin at FSU has made a career out of underachieving. But CPM has done a better job than most at getting his teams at least in the conversation for championships. At some point the players have to respond to the pressure of the post season, both hitting and pitching. Some of it may be because of his decisions, and that may very well come back to haunt him, but that's only part of it.

7. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

5 years ago, 2009 CWS Champions. Not talented enough? Sheesh.

8. lsufan52

wow won 5 years ago goose eggs since really impressive considering make up of 2009 team was mostly laval's recruits and team was so talented they could coach themselves.

9. lsufan52

And let's look at cpm's overall success oops there is none,so just maybe when the ex carolina coach said he could have won with some of his teams then i guess he's foolish too.

10. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

CPM loves his match ups. The problem is on most years there is only 1 MAYBE 2 guys that are consistent enough to take that gamble. Hell, even Eades would shit the bed. Nola was the 1st pitcher in a LONG time to be dominate while having an off night. Nola was insane out there.

I get match-ups and the odds and all, but I tend to believe you need stable pitching for that. We didn't have that deep of pitching last year outside of Nola and Bouman.