No coach would send your Qb on the sideline into the game with 32 seconds to go without the 2nd play

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerCliff, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Speedy G

Speedy G Founding Member

But the play didn't just come in late. They ran new players on/off the field.

At the :20 mark, the offense is bunched in a loose formation, and Jefferson is looking to the sidelines for instruction. At about :15, three LSU players enter the frame, meaning three players have to leave. Clearly, the instruction wasn't to clock the ball. The coaches wanted him to run a play, and that's what he tried to do.

He could have lined them up immediately after being tackled and clocked the ball at :20+, but that would have been a waste of a play (fourth down coming up). Part of the problem, here, is running the entire offense through various personnel packages. Presumably, there was no pass play available to them with the group they had out there on third down.

Beyond all that, Jefferson clearly cannot be relied upon to manage the situation and sort things out himself. Certainly we have all seen enough to realize that. Yet, that's the situation his coaches forced upon him.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I see it differently. I think he was sent in with just 1 play because our coaches, everyone in the stadium, everyone watching at home, even people who aren't smart enough to read or write, knew that if the first play is a run and it doesn't work, you clock it. Jefferson doesn't make it, he looks lost, starts fumbling around, Billy G and company have to take action with no timeouts left, so they send in a spread package to try and catch Tennessee off guard, because obviously Jefferson is too stupid to realize he can clock it. He wastes more time, and more time, until T Bob just says fuggit and snaps the ball.

You can blame Miles and the coaching staff for not knowing that their quarterback is dumber than a box of rocks, and giving him the benefit of the doubt, but other than that, I thought whoever made the subs after they realized Jordan wasn't going to do the proper thing, actually saved the game, along with TBob.

3. west_tex_tiger

west_tex_tiger Founding Member

Very true. On the last drive, it appeared to me that Lee was actually under control and doing a pretty good job of managing the 2 minute drill. Admittedly, we don't have a big sample to judge, but I strongly suspect Lee will prove to be a much stronger field general than Jefferson.

4. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

JJ didn't clock it because he wasn't instructed to clock it. He clocked it last year (Ole Miss) and that wasn't the right thing to do. Miles or someone should have told him, "If you don't get in, clock it or run this play".

Again, our coaches tried to get way too cute while the clock was ticking away. Then tried swapping folks around ..... nothing but pure chaos.

We should have run that Ridley play from the get-go. The same Ridley play off the left tackle that we'd been killing them with the whole second half.

5. Speedy G

Speedy G Founding Member

Come on. Jefferson is standing there looking at the sidelines at :20. All they had to do was tell him to clock the ball, if that was what they wanted. You think he doesn't know how? If that was what they wanted him to do, they wouldn't have run new players out there.

Running another play was the right thing to do, but the staff completely bungled it, letting too much time run off the clock making late personnel changes. Just a total failure to have things planned ahead of time.

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Well, we don't have the benefit of multiple replays that show us what was happening on the field and on the sidelines at the exact same time. What I remember is that the play ended, the team hustled to the line, and as JJ turned and made his plaintiff "what do I do?" gesture, multiple substitutes appeared in the camera shot. Someone must have sent those guys in almost immediately, proving (to me, anyway) that no one on the sidelines expected him to clock it either. If that's what they were looking for, they could have clocked it with the personnel on the field, and then sent in the subs when th clock was stopped.

7. Speedy G

Speedy G Founding Member

Not just that, but they wasted about 10 seconds before even making the substitutions. Jefferson gets tackled at about :28. It's not until :15 that you see the three new players enter the frame. Oh, and those three players? Randle, Tolliver, and Shepard. So, they didn't have any receivers out there on the second down play, but it took them 10 seconds to figure out they needed those guys out there for a pass play on third down. Clearly, the plan was: run a play and see what happens, then figure out what to do next.

8. LaSalleAve

FIFY.

9. LaSalleAve

Why should he have to ask what do I do in that situation. I agree with you, I think the staff saw that, (what do I do look) but i think they decided to say fuggit, we gotta take matter into our own hands now.

Seriously, did you know what was coming when Jefferson came in the game? And did you think to yourself, ok if the run which is obviously coming doesn't work, clock it and you still have 2 more plays?

It's obvious what should have happened, and no I don't think they should have had to tell a Junior quarterback that. ESPECIALLY after what happened last year.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Replacing Lee on a drive that he engineered was foolish.